Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Big big money

Welder Dave · 2026-05-15 02:49

I just heard from someone related to the owners of the sand pit that swapped land with me and helped me out over the years. He said the operation was sold. Wow. They had about $190 million in equipment as well as owned 3600 acres of land and leased another 4000. They might own even more because they did a big expansion last year and bought another 900 acres as well as a trucking company. I'm guessing the whole operation had to be worth $300 million or more! The 5 brothers that owned it should be able to retire quite comfortably. That's a lot of moola!! They still farm about 2000 acres but I'm not sure if all of them do.

Replies4
  1. #1HarleyHappy2026-05-15 11:28

    That why you haven’t been getting a call back about getting you track loader moved?

  2. #2Welder Dave2026-05-15 16:14

    Not sure but the guy I deal with has always been hard to get ahold of. Thinking about it more I think the operation could have sold for close to a billion $$$$$$ if you count the 102 million metric tons of sand reserves they had! Enough to last at least 30 years. They were major suppliers of frac sand but there was an even bigger operation that I think could have bought them out. The owner of that operation also owns one of largest construction companies in Canada that has the largest scraper fleet in N. America. They helped finance the billion dollar ring road around Edmonton. If it was someone else it had to be a very large operation. They might have got an offer they couldn't refuse. Kind of like my deal but on a much bigger scale. Still shocking though.

  3. #3HarleyHappy2026-05-16 11:11

    Be glad you got your land deal, when you did! Wondering if your land deal had something to do with the sale?

  4. #4Welder Dave2026-05-16 22:10

    I don't think so but I do think I got a way better deal than if a new owner wanted my property. I'd guess they might have got an offer they couldn't refuse. A couple of the brothers are getting up in age so maybe wanted to retire and take it easy. They worked hard to build the business into a huge operation. I'd think the brothers would be getting $60 mil. each or more. That's hard to fathom. Better than a lottery.