Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Big engine 27’s

Neil D ยท 2009-08-27 16:45

I thought I would start a new thread instead of muscling in on the cushion hitch tread again about fitting higher hp engines in 627B's. So if anybody has information about fitting these engines or the specifications etc please let us hear your views By the way glad to get talking to you last night Alan627B Neil

Replies8
  1. #1alan627b2009-08-28 14:19

    Thanks Neil, it was a pleasure talking to you. I'm afaid to think what the phone bill is going to be! The only experience with higher HP motors in 627's I know of, is that there are B models out there with 3406's in them. Supposedly these were fitted to auger scrapers. I wouldn't be surprised if some A's have been refitted with 3306's, and there were some 621A's on Machinerytrader.com that had been fitted with 3406's. If a 621 can be upgraded, no reason a 627 couldn't be. It also wouldn't surprise me if 623's weren't fitted with the 3406, since they have to work harder lugging the dead weight of the elevator assembly around. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...3353146&GUID=450F374081F942F9A6B794DDE9AB5E22 http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6282645&GUID=450F374081F942F9A6B794DDE9AB5E22 All Cat For sale http://www.machinerytrader.com/List...rpillar&guid=450F374081F942F9A6B794DDE9AB5E22

  2. #2621_Rocker2010-04-07 19:11

    I have been by several people that Cat made a kit for putting replacing the D336 with a 3306 in a 621(A). I have a 621(A) with a 3306. I have seen a couple of machinery listings over the years for a 621 with a 3406 replacement engine. I know of a number of mechanics that don't think much of the D336. 621 Rocker

  3. #3Cat Wrench2010-04-07 19:28

    627B's, spent many a hour hanging off lots of them. A 3406 is a great conversion. If you have a donor 621B it is even easier.

  4. #4bobin352010-04-07 21:47

    I put a 3306 pcta engine out of an old djb aritc into a 627 where a d333 sat,piece of cake.

  5. #5gd10r2010-04-10 18:43

    Tri-con Kent here repowered all there waterwagons with that way. Pretty interesting to see where they ended up.

  6. #6JTL2010-04-11 01:29

    I ran an old 621 with a Johnson elevator on it that was re-powered with a 3406 out of a wrecked truck. I kinda think the 425 hp was a bit over kill, but man would that thing throw the dirt!

  7. #7Panmanm4372010-04-13 01:43

    I have 4-621(a)'s that I put 3406 truck engines in. We made the parts to mount the engines,air pipes,water pipes, cooler pipes and cooler mounts. I have one 350-hp and three 400-hp open bowls. Makes alot better scraper than the D336 verson. Bought one with 980 wheel loader 3406 engine, but it was heavy and long in front of wheels, made it nose heavy in turns with empty bowl. I took it out and put truck version, they are lighter and shorter, works better to me. The 1966 model has had a 3406A-DI in it for about 12 years. The others are 1972's and have had 3406B's in them about 9 years, 7 years and 5 years. Catch you later, Mike Panman

  8. #8Neil D2010-04-29 17:08

    Mike, Any photos? Can you tell us the problems encountered and the solutions Neil