Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Big Hopto / Warner Swasey

Countryboy ยท 2006-12-14 22:47

Does anybody have specs on this? www.polytrac.de

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies24
  1. #1digger242j2006-12-14 22:56

    I bet that would feel strange to operate--the cab is on the other side. (Maybe it's an Australian model?) :wink2

  2. #2Countryboy2006-12-14 23:08

    Thats what I was thinking. It would be like driving on the opposite side of the road in another country. :yup

  3. #3Ford LT-90002006-12-14 23:13

    Where did you find the pictures of the Antiques they are just as old as JSWs, P&H, Northwest,American,Bantam etc. The cab on those machines is where they used to be on those years its pretty rare to see a old WS.

  4. #4Countryboy2006-12-14 23:19

    The link is below the pictures. On the website in the bottom left corner click on the flag and it will be in english. Go to archives and it is under Warner Swasey. There are lots of other odd foreign equipment too. Things like this: www.polytrac.de

  5. #5Blademan2006-12-15 02:17

    WOW You find the most amazing things . I've actually been searching for a picture of them for ages . The first real piece of equipment I ever ran was a Hopto 900 , when I was about 9 or 10 . The company my Dad worked for had a fleet of W+S's , even the monster ( to me at the time ) 1900 . From what I remember : The 1900 was a twin motored machine . I think it had dual V8 Detroits , and even though you see the mufflers they were LOUD . I think they had 4-5 yard buckets , and heavy . The 900's came with either the Jimmy's or , like the one I had , a Cat motor . They all had the same controls . Throttle was behind and below the seat ( what were they thinking ? ) Four long levers or sticks , the two outside ones were individual track controls and the two inner levers were for the boom and stick . On the floor were four pedals , two on the right , two on the left side . The left side ones controlled the bucket ( curl or dump ) and the right ones controled the machine swing ( left or right ) . Well , thats as much as I can remember as it was some 30+ years ago ( big WOW again ) , except that most of the hose connections had rubber o-rings that would constantly blow and required a mechanic almost daily ! hard working girls though and I was sad to see them dwindle off as they got replaced by Cats which were way faster and easier to operate . Thanks for the find Countryboy , brings back good memories . :notworthy

  6. #6Countryboy2006-12-15 02:51

    I appreciate the info. :notworthy Sounds like it was a good trade then. :yup

  7. #7Countryboy2006-12-15 03:10

    Alright Blademan, you got me started on a mission. Look what I found: Hopto 900 [COLOR="Red"]www.vannattabros.com[/COLOR]

  8. #8Blademan2006-12-15 09:40

    Thanks !! I believe thats a photo of a 900A . They also came out with 900B's , which I think had bigger buckets and different tracks . The one I ran was a B . Oh , one more thing I remember . They are Slloooowwwww . When this company I worked for got the new ( back then ) Cat 245's , the 900's just seemed to run brutally slow . It was old tech when I got on them I guess , but they still had a ' history ' and even to this day it still comes up in conversation with Pops . Thanks again Countryboy , and thanks for the link . I actually found it years ago and was thrilled too to see the preservation of photos and memories from his site . I especially liked the photo of that Cat dozer from some Aussie mine thats nearly verticle .YIKES !!! Cheers .

  9. #9MetalDragon_boy2006-12-15 14:30

    The large excavators of Liebherr has the cab on the "wrong" side to. Look at 996 for example: http://www.mining-power.de/images/bagger/r996/r996_7.jpg the Terex/O&K RH400 has the cab on the "right" side: http://www.mining-power.de/images/bagger/okrh400/rh400_10.jpg

  10. #10dayexco2006-12-15 16:47

    my dad through the years owned quite a few hoptos started with a 180, had 2-3 200's....tried out a 360, didn't like it, and 1-300...here are links to pics of them http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i...action=view&current=12-64Hopto300backhoe3.jpg http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/dayexco/dads old equipment/?action=view&current=hopto3002.jpg

  11. #11iceberg2102006-12-16 01:19

    We've got an American 35. Its slow but at the same time its fun to run. We've got one like this one (except its a regular construction excavator). Its got a thumb and we use it to move logs and take out stumps. http://www.vannattabros.com/pics/hoe35-1.jpg Later I'll post a picture of our excavator.

  12. #12Countryboy2006-12-28 04:03

    Heres another: 1974 Hopto 900A

  13. #13Squizzy246B2006-12-28 05:26

    Then it would be on the right side wouldn't it

  14. #14Countryboy2006-12-28 19:44

    It can't be an Australian model. It doesn't have Roo bars.

  15. #15LowBoy2007-01-07 08:43

    Forget the Roo Bars, how about the size of that house? You can cook shrimp on the bobby up there.:bouncegri

  16. #16dieseljock2012-08-21 14:57

    warner and swasey h900 I currently own one of these at the moment,mines a 900b,found 3 of them abandoned in a old quarry,they have been sitting round for 12 years,started no worries,they are definitely diffirent from what im used to driving

  17. #17dieseljock2012-08-21 15:07

    h900b, i just brought a 900b,mines supercharged as well im not sure weither that was factory or not

  18. #18245dlc2012-08-22 02:02

    I worked for a company in Calgary years ago that had owned a couple of 1900's for doing deep sewer work and digging irrigation canal's. They had a lot of stories about them and how much power they had but also a lot of stories about them always blowing hoses. lol There is still a 900 in Winnipeg sitting and rusting in a yard.

  19. #19skadill2012-08-22 23:24

    A friend took some photos of a few Warner Swasey 1900 excavators a couple years ago in Alberta.They're still there.The photos are near the end of this link: http://youtu.be/a9rf0vVkb9A

  20. #20ddigger2012-08-23 11:27

    I ran a 900 here in California for a good while in the 80s.

  21. #21koalamotorsport2012-08-23 21:57

    LMAO, as funny as that is, it could be a British model.

  22. #22renaud2014-05-18 23:13

    This 900B is sitting one hour drive from where i live..... It is a 1977 model. His owner still uses it more or less than 50 hours a year.It belings to the same guy since brand new.It has approximately 3000 hours on it. Enjoy. Max.

  23. #23egoman2014-05-19 19:42

    I have tried several times to get the one sitting in Winnipeg and no one is interested in even talking about it. I try just about twice a year. Almost due to give it another go.

  24. #24Lee (MN)2014-05-19 20:03

    We had a 900 at work years ago, we removed the stick and used it for a yard crane till the tracks gave out, it had a rare 8V53 Detroit, and if I remember correctly it had three hoist cyls.. Koehrings also had the cab on the right side! Lee