Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Big Move

Steve Frazier ยท 2020-10-08 22:40

It's not everyday you see this rolling through town! Cat 777D. I've only seen them in quarries, never on a trailer.

Replies4
  1. #1mitch5042020-10-08 22:45

    He going to a quarry, or a big construction job?

  2. #2Nige2020-10-09 12:46

    TBH it would have probably been easier and less disruptive for the rest of the traffic to leave the wheels on and just drive it - IMHO anyway.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2020-10-09 17:39

    I've been trying to think why it might be being moved since I saw it, there's a Trap Rock Industries (Poughkeepsie plant) quarry about 5 miles north, the direction he's heading. Trap Rock also has a quarry in Rockland County, south and across the river from here. I'm speculating they might be transferring it from there to here. I can't really come up with anything else. We have a Cat dealer in Poughkeepsie but I can't imagine they'd be hauling it in for repairs. I don't believe they do the factory refurbishing there either.

  4. #4Raildudes dad2020-10-10 19:35

    I review and approve moves like this for our county road department. I took the spec weight and divided it in half for the bed being removed. I did the math and it should be about 500 lbs / inch of tire with. That is permitable in MI according to the MI DOT. If it to move on it's own in our county I would check the bridges on the route concerned about t he concentrated weight. Otherwise I would permit it.