I'm looking to get a machine of my own, and the possibility exists that it would have to be hauled, and I would like to be able to have that done with a dump truck (tandem) and a trailer. I don't know what most trailers are rated for, but I know that I have seen excavators on them already - and I've seen excavators on lowboy trailers, so I don't know where the dividing line is..... Is it more a factor of weight, or because of the boom portion? Rodney
A tri-axle 25 ton tilt or tag will haul a 320 Cat or 210 sized hoe behind the right truck hitch set up. I won't say it's a favorite set up. I haul a 160 Volvo on a 25 ton tri Towmaster with ease. Fits on easy, tows real nice, smooth. What type of hoe are you looking at? Do you have a truck?
we have a hitacie 160 and a jd 135c. A interstate 40dla. its a 20 ton tag and is ok with the 135 but put the 160 on it and she will sway real bad. We try to move the 160 on a lowboy. the only problem with the 3 axel 25 ton tags is they scrub tires bad.
I don't have a truck. There are 2 guys near me that I might get to have it hauled, and they both run tandem trucks and tandem trailers I'll simply have this thing on the farm, but the one farm is a few miles from all of the others, hence the need to maybe have it hauled. I am looking at anything that might be a good deal. I have no brand preference, but would like to be able to access some online parts catalogs. I'm leaning towards a CAT, Deere, Komatsu, or Kobelco. Looks like a 12-16 ton machine will work. Rodney
rodney r where in the southeast pa are you? theres Highway equipment that deals in new holland and kabelco. komastu is down here by me in bridgville and cranbarry has deere and cat. Might want to consider how far you have to go to get parts.
Check your local rules in your state. The setup i quoted is probobly legal where blowerman lives but in WA it would not be legal. I am not familure with the weight bridge laws in PA. Here in WA the most you can haul on a tri axel pintel hitch trailer is a 160 machine. If you buy overweight permits for each move you can haul a much larger machine. The bridge laws for the 5 axel bridge between the drive tires and the trailer tires and the tongue weight will only allow for a 160 sized excavator. (around 16 metric tons). This is really frusterating for us because the trailers are rated for 25 tons, and on paper it looks like it should work... until you realize you are limited on how you can distribute the weight.
I found an old float, built a joe dog, and haul mine with the magnum. Same situation here, with farms scattered a few miles in every direction. I put a slow moving sign on with flashing lights, go slow, and have no problems. Its a cheap way to go. Oh yeah, brand selection should be primarily based on the availability of good service. I had my mech out today. These things aint farm tractors. Especially the electrical problems, you NEED a factory rep to come out and fix it. Good luck
I have a 160 Hitachi that I tow behind my Tandem axle Dump with a 20 ton Eager Beaver. The Eager Beaver has 2 axles, BTW. It does not sway or have any bad symptoms. The truck definetly knows it is back there. I go slow and do not try to make lights and keep a very safe following distance. I have a 3 stage Jake Brake which is very helpful coming down Mountains. In fact I would not come down a mountain with any kind of load without a Jake. All of that being said I know some think that a tandem hauling a 160 is borderline. I have not been stopped by the cops so can't tell you what they think. I think hauling a 160 behind a tandem is safely doable but when hauling any heavy load one should stay off the cell phone and be on maximum alert.
Buck, I'm at Hamburg... I know where Highway equip is at, and plasterer is in Lebanon and Cat is all over the place. I didn't know that highway sold Kobelco..... But I saw in one of the posts that the parts diagrams were online, and it was a CNH website. watglen I do have a dolly here, and I do know where there is an old lowboy for sale..... Might work to move my old D6 around as well. Sorta sounds like a 160 machine would be the upper limits of a tandem truck and a tandem trailer.... I have no idea how the combo licensing and weight limits/splits apply. Thanks, Rodney
We move our PC 200-8 and EX 200 with a 45' boom on it regulerly here in Wa st. It does cost us a $14.00 permit each time we move but its a small price for what we get.
We move our 160d and our 750j on our triple redihaul it handles it fine behind our trucks, if it looks like the machine is wey to big for the trailer nomatter the weight ur gonna get hassle from the dot or state trooper ne wey