Hey all. I was curious if an f450/550 tool truck could legally tow a 50 sized mini in a dump trailer, that's including tools, transfer tank, extra bucket etc. I have a class a cdl and experience moving large equipment. I'd like a 50 over a 35 because I plan on doing utilities with it and the more power/digging depth/lifting capacity, the better. Thanks!
A 50 size machine is going to be about 6 tons on the trailer with extra buckets, accessories, etc. How much does your trailer weigh? How much does your truck weigh full of tools and fuel?
As joispoi said add the trailer truck and everything else you currently own take it to the scale house and get a weight. Really whats stopping you is your registered gvw. You could easily pull a 12-13 k machine just depends on what your registered for.
What is the weight of the trailer? I think it depends on the weight of the equipment that you want to pull or move.
Yeah I'd think your safe with the right trailer and a 550. I have a tak 053 and with the right trailer would move it legally with a f-350. A local concrete contractor moves his cat 304 all over with a dodge 3500 dually. Your Issue might be in getting a dump trailer that's right for the job. I suggest a 16k goose neck model but that's just me.
Yeah I understand what your saying but I'm trying to make an all in one package, so it would have to be a bumper pull behind a loaded tool truck, I'm not so much concerned with the trailer weight as I am with the combined weight (gvcw), I think a 50 would put me over. I don't own the truck yet, that's why I'm asking. Pjs makes a good trailer, low profile dump trailer designed to haul equipment too.
i have never seen a dot officer care about gcvwr if that is what you are worried about. here where im at they always check for gw of trailer and add it with the gw of the truck. for example i get stopped in f350 with my backhoe on my gooseneck they look at my trailer gw and my truck make sure my axles aren't over loaded and ticket me for a stupid light bulb or something
Ok, well your going to need roughly 16k pounds to a lot for your ex and trailer if you go to the 50 class. So if you had a f-350 like mine that was gcvwr was 23k and plated at 26, and the truck weight was about 9k pounds, 9+16 = 25, making you under your tags but over your door sticker. Your other problem is going to be getting a bumper hitch rated that high, I think mine is 12k pounds. My suggestion, buy a medium duty single axle dump and pull a little tag trailer with the mini on it.
It will work fine and probably even be legal. it would be alot better on a gooseneck. But it will be fine behind a 550 or about any of the newer ton and up trucks.
and air brakes and sleep well at night.
Some of you are missing the point, I have a class a, I have owned two cdl trucks, and have towed oversized/overweight loads, I just need a tool truck dump trailer combo capable of towing equipment. I have my answer I appreciate everyone's input. I do not want a cdl tool truck when the same thing can be done under cdl.
Ok, well I hate to pop the bubble, but legally any commercial trailer over 10k gvw requires a cdl. Also, you need to keep everything under 26k. I don't see how your going to comply with that when you have an excavator weighing 12k and change alone. I don't even think going aussie style with the ex in the back will work because you want to drag tools around as well, might want to thing about a 35 machine.
One of the things you may considers is going with an in between size machine, such as a kx121 Kubota or Cat 303.5. They're more like a 40 size machine. As much as I am not a big fan of Kubotas mini line sizing other than the new u35, they do allow you the option to go a bit bigger without going "over".
By under cdl I was more referring to staying away from an air brake truck. I think you are right, a 35 may be the way to go
It's your business, but i'd rather have air brakes anyday.
I have a tri axle dump rated for 21000lbs, that should do the job without any issues, I tow a 50D in it with an International but a 550 should work too.