Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Biggest Telehandler?

Tri-Star ยท 2008-08-15 18:26

Just wondering if anyone knows what the biggest telehandler is? Who makes it and whats the capacity?

Replies40
  1. #1544D102008-08-15 19:23

    JLG has a 12k capacity model that will reach 55' up. Cat TH580B will lift 11k a foot higher to 56'. But the big dady of them all is the Manitou MHT 10160 which will lift 36,000lbs, but only 15,430lbs to its max height of 31'10".

  2. #2landrvrnut222008-08-15 19:25

    Most large tele's are 10,000lb. Gradall, JLG, Skytrak, Lull, all make 10k units. I think JCB may have an 11,000lb unit. I guess technically Container stackers are telehandlers, and can lift around 100,000lbs. Depends on your definition I suppose. Edit: Didnt know JLG made a 12k, learn something new everyday.

  3. #3JCBgm2008-08-15 23:05

    Don't forget ZoomBoom. They have a 32k machine that lifts to 32 ft as well. www.carelift.com

  4. #4544D102008-08-15 23:08

    ZoomBoom never herd of them. I learned somthing new too.

  5. #5Iron Horse2008-08-17 04:50

    I was thinking of buying one once . It was a 360* model which i think would be best . You could just sit in the one spot and service a large area . Take a pallet of tiles off a truck and spin around and put it on the roof etc . You need to be very acurate with a conventional tele . If you set yourself up and lift a pallet up to the roof it is easy for the boom to shift a little with breeze etc so that you cant make your landing point . Ive heard of guy's using the stabilisers to correct this while extended with catastrophic results .

  6. #6Iron Horse2008-08-21 18:51

    This is the one i was going to buy , how good would this thing be ?

  7. #7tmc_312008-08-26 12:09

    Hey Ironhorse, Who makes that thing? Do you have a link to a website for it? That may be the cats meow for what I do. Tim

  8. #8hvy 1ton2008-08-26 13:01

    It is a Manitou MRT series tele. Kinda like a rough terrian crane without the crane.

  9. #9AtlasRob2008-08-26 14:29

    Merlo Roto The first Rotating telehandler I came across was a Merlo. Whether they were the first or not I dont know but the Manitou is deffinetly a newer addition. And now they have a winch to be used just like a crane. Added the link and used it and they do indeed claim to be the first :notworthy http://www.merlo.co.uk/html/roto.html

  10. #10JCBgm2008-08-26 20:00

    The Manitou is very much like a crane (less the winch). I didn't know they were bringing them to the states yet. Because of the rotating house, they have to have all the safety instrumentation of a crane. If you notice there is a box at the top of the boom along with a reel on the side of the boom. These machines use a Load Moment Indicator (LMI) just like a crane. There are sensors on all the outriggers along with one on the rear axle as well. The cost for the LMI on these machines costs nearly what a economy telescopic costs.

  11. #11tmc_312008-08-26 20:05

    Thanks hvy 1ton, I looked on the Manitou site, turns out they are not far from me. The MRT 2540 may work for me. I wonder if it will mount a winch at the tip so I can use it like a crane, and if pilot controls are available.

  12. #12ForksNI2008-08-28 09:25

    Hey people for the biggest telehandlers it must be for capacity the Manitou MHT10210- 21 tonne (46000lbs?) lift capacity, & for height the Manitou MRT3050 with a lift height of 29.70 metres (98ft?). On the MRT Manitou in the picture the box at the top of the boom is the electro-hydraulic connection for the aerial work platform, the other box at the top of the main boom looks to be the remote control signal receiver. On the larger Roto Manitou's, along with Merlo & Dieci (in US Xtreme) Roto Telehandlers its mounted on upper structure of the machine, mine it's behind the cab. It is possible to mount a variety of attachments at the head of the machine, the MRT2450 Privelige I'm on has a set of floating forks,, 6 metre jib with intergated winch, a seperate 5 tonne winch, hydraulic block grab which we can also load out roof tiles with, bucket, a hitch mounted road sweeper & a remote control work platform. The remote control can also be used with the winch, block grab & forks which is invaluable for loading out houses etc especially when you can get the truck drivers to set the stuff handy to where your gona place it ie so that your slewing about 90' to lift it instead of having to tramp all over the site to gather it up.

  13. #13tmc_312008-08-28 12:15

    Hey ForksNI, I talked to the South Central US Distributor for the Manitou MRT2450 yesterday, he is sending me load charts and a list of attachments. From your post I take it that you are pleased with this machine. Are there any difficulties with it, things that you wish were different? I am planning a trip to Waco TX sometime next week to demo one of these units. Thanks for your input Tim

  14. #14ForksNI2008-08-28 16:43

    Hiya tmc_31, I am well pleased with the machine, I came of 1 of our company's Manitou MT1740SLT telehandlers to operate the MRT2540, if your coming of an 'ordinary telehandler to use it you'll find it a little strange at first. The only 2 problems i would really have with it are firstly when using it close to its capacity on wheels it can sometimes on rough ground feel a bit unbalanced due to the large front overhang, they should have maybe used a 5 stage boom like the Merlo 40.25MCSS, & secondly other problem I would have with it is caused apparently by legislation in the UK, in that the machine can't be driven to a new position using the remote control. The amount of time it saves on site & the mess it saves on for outweighs the two things above, especially if your loading out houses for bricklayers (masons in US?) no driving about to lift packs of brick/block, get them set handy then just slew to get them. The other thing our company has found its good for is timber framed houses, the site I'm had four to go up & they were all done with it saving on the hire cost of the crane that is usually used. Hope this has helped a bit, & let me know how you get on with the demo machine. Bryan

  15. #15tmc_312008-08-29 18:36

    Hey again ForksNI, Thanks for the insights. I asked our distributer if it could be driven with the remote controls from the basket, he said no, so i guess it is a universal problem, albiet a minor one for me. I have an appointment to demo the machine next wed in Waco. I understand from the distrubitor that wireless remote controls are available or you can get remote controls that plug into the work basket. Do you have either of these, if so which? Can you see any advantages or disadvantages either way? Tim

  16. #16ForksNI2008-09-10 09:33

    Hey Tim, apologies for the delay in replying. The only time I've used the 'plug in' controls was on rigid telehandlers when they were fitted to work baskets, which to be honest was very few times. Our machine has the wireless remote control, it can be used with the work basket or with the other attachments as well & because of this theres times I'm using it more than driving from the cab. It is a good job for lifting trusses onto roofs or loading out houses espcially on upper floors or anywhere you cant see where the load is going when in machine cab etc as you can be where your placing the stuff at using the remote control instead of relying on someone guiding you by radio or giving hand signals ( which on our site is usually 2 people giving a different signal at the same time :Banghead ) Did you go for the demo on the MRT, what did you think of it? Regards Bryan

  17. #17tmc_312008-09-10 18:22

    Hello Bryan, Unfortunately, I had to reschedule my demo on the MRT (I hate it when work interferes). I hope to go and see it within the next couple of weeks. I am pleased to hear that you are successfully using the wireless remote control system. I think it more will be versatile in my application. Regards, Tim

  18. #18Speedpup2008-12-22 19:42

    68 feet high 59 foot reach! http://www.xtrememanufacturing.com/equipment-xrm1068.php#chart:eek:

  19. #19albertozordan2009-02-27 04:15

    Very very impressive!

  20. #20Speedpup2009-02-28 22:04

    Yea 60 feet forward reach :cool2 :notworthy:notworthy

  21. #21Man of God2009-03-27 15:41

    Anyone know anything about old Pettibone Carry Lifts?

  22. #22I AM IRONMAN2009-03-27 23:08

    I've been around Pettibones for years, they were good machines in there day. They still build them but they have had a lot of trouble staying in business. A lot of their business was in sawmills, some of the models were the Super 10, Super 15, and Super 20. I think they had a lot of other models too, including the shooting boom types. They usually had Detroit diesels or Cummings for engines. Good sturdy machines!

  23. #23catc152009-03-28 18:35

    I would have to agree, the xtreme is and excellent brand of machinery. I've had the personal opportunity of operating the XRM1267. Before I got to operate that I was running just a typical mast type rough terrain forklift, going from that to the xtreme telehandler was awsome. It has great visibility, great strength, great stability, and great amount of power when needed.

  24. #24albertozordan2009-05-13 08:08

    I think that Xtreme telehandlers are manifactured by the italian company Dieci, is it right?

  25. #25Speedpup2009-05-13 19:10

    made in NV as I know it. Not sure who owns the company for real.

  26. #26albertozordan2009-05-14 02:01

    Ok. It was just because a saw that the compact model are from Dieci, that is an italian manifacturer but sicerely I don't know if it is the same for the biggest models too.

  27. #27ForksNI2009-05-14 07:54

    albertozordan - the 'low mount' & slewing telehandlers are made by Dieci for Xtreme, basically they are just machines from the Dieci European range in orange instead of yellow.

  28. #28albertozordan2009-05-15 02:11

    Oh nice. Any other not european manufacturer of big telehandlers?

  29. #29Speedpup2009-05-15 18:57

    what do you mean by slewing? thanks

  30. #30hvy 1ton2009-05-15 19:45

    Slewing forklifts are like a rough terrain crane without the crane part. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qijx...anitou%20mrt&um=1&ie=&feature=player_embedded

  31. #31ForksNI2009-05-17 09:41

    Yeah its basically a telehandler mounted on a slewing structure - the Manitou pictured earlier in the thread is a smaller version. Our company has the larger 25metre Manitous (newer versions of the one in the video) & having come off a 'ordinary' telehandler to go on to a slewing one, in my opinion they are definatly the way forward - especially with the radio control for the crane winch or jib attachments - no relying on hand signals just stand where you can see everything & work from there!

  32. #32Speedpup2009-05-17 12:28

    25+ years ago I said they would end up sticking forks on a Cherry pickers.

  33. #33ForksNI2009-05-17 13:09

    The slewing telehandler is basically that idea the other way round - you take the forks off to put the radio control personnel carrying basket on, which along with the crane attachments, is designed & of course certified for use with the machine. One of the Merlo telehandler dealers in Europe (in conjunction with Merlo) has designed & built a track mounted fully radio controlled machine - the Giraf Track - designed mainly as a cherry picker but fully certified to be used with forks & crane attachments. Another European manufacture - Sennebogen - has machine in its range which is mainly a mobile crane but again certified to be used a cherry picker & slewing telehandler

  34. #34albertozordan2009-05-18 10:03

    Cool! Even if I'm in the telehandlers businness I've never heard about Sennebogen. It's nice to learn stuff from you guys!

  35. #35hvy 1ton2009-05-18 15:00

    I didn't know Sennebogen made telehandlers, not that it really surprises me. It seems they only sell a normal telehandler with a lifting cab in NA. On bigger construction jobs around here they stockpile all the building materials or atleast until they run out of room. I can see slewing forklifts being really good at building stockpiles and lifting everything were it needs to go. Wouldn't it be a bit of a waste to have the slewing forklift running back and forth from the building to the stockpile? Still need a telehandler to unbuild the stockpile and bring it to the rotator. I guess there could be two rotators one at the building and one at the stockpile with a site truck running between.

  36. #36tonka2009-05-18 15:12

    Sennebogen's rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can we see whats behind pic # 3?

  37. #37ForksNI2009-05-18 15:46

    Yeah they sell that one over here to the 308 I think it is they mainly go into waste & recycling applications. On our sites the materials are stockpiled to where they are being used so there is little or no travelling to gather up materials - however occasionally with that there still is a small degree of running about eg more vauable items are in a central shed on the site so when there needed they have to be brought up or occasionally stillages of scaffolding, bales of planks etc up from or down to the scaffolders compound. Apart from that once the machine is set up it can sit without turning a wheel or even having the forks on for 2-3 days. Doing it that way certainly keeps the dirt & dust down, I've been on sites before where everything has been centrally stockpiled - in winter mud & dirt everywere & in summer dust everywere because of machines running around. Tonka - Unfortunatly I don't have pics/details of the other machines in pic 3 but I wouldn't turn down a go on the scrap handler ! !

  38. #38tonka2009-05-18 17:20

    this is how i roll man! http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg3/tonkatoys1/?action=view&current=001-1.flv

  39. #39barklee2009-08-05 22:09

    That Giraf is amazing! We have been thinking of purchasing a 2450 mrt this year. It really seems to be very difficult to manuver and very heavy. Is that a true assumption, also are there any other weak points worth mentioning? We currently have two Lull 1044's and a terex 1056 now, seems to me that this would far our perform those hands down!

  40. #40lee2009-09-07 14:25

    hi i know jcb do a big telehandler called the 540/170 it lifts 4 tonnes and has 17 metre reach i dont think they do a bigger one