Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

binding down dozer

wolfman ยท 2009-09-18 23:10

Has anyone had trouble with final drive seals leaking. Someone told me binding down my dozer with ratchet binders from the track pads to the outside rail on the trailer would put pressure on the final drive seals. I have transported equipment this way for for 20 yrs. and this is a new one on me. but I do listen to people and value anyone else with there take on this mater.

Replies6
  1. #1willie592009-09-18 23:22

    I can't imagine how that would be any rougher than pounding over dirt and rock while operating the dozer? Most final drives use floating seals on the output shaft. If you could pull the shaft out far enough to make it leak from binding it to a trailer, then the shaft is moving enough to be a bigger problem than the floating seal, you've got loose preload on the bearings.

  2. #2dozerdave2009-09-19 02:35

    Hi wolfman, Thats an interesting question and I am sure ATCO is right with his answer, but. I have never tied a dozer down, I just stood out of the way and watched the Murray teamster throwing chains and binders and racing around the rig so he could get on the road. I don't remember where they hooked the chains but on the back set why hook it to the track pad if you have a drawbad or a ripperbar. Just curious.

  3. #3QuickTrax2009-09-19 13:57

    It seems like every machine w/ tracks that comes to our shop is chained down using the track pad. I have heard someone say that but have never seen a problem as of yet. I agree w/ Atco.

  4. #4LonestarCobra2009-09-20 21:07

    It does'nt hurt anything been doing it for years. ATCO is on the money with the bearing preload theory.

  5. #5Wildhair2009-09-20 21:13

    ATCO is da man.

  6. #6JDOFMEMI2009-09-21 02:20

    As above Someone is pulling your leg about the chaining causing a bad seal. Pressure washing may get one, but not chaining it down.