Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Biodegradable hydraulic fluid

shipman ยท 2009-08-25 07:25

Anybody using it? any comments? concerns? brands? I will be operating right at the waters edge and a big leak would be a big mess. My new (new to me, RT59S) crane is getting closer. And... whats up with the pictures missing? or is it just me. Have a good day and safe lifting.

Replies4
  1. #1stock2009-08-25 18:27

    Good enough stuff,heard the pump life is shortened though,dam expensive though.Was on a canal job and all excavators had to have it ,the systems had to be completely drained flushed and this stuff put in a proper PITA,but when a hose burst on a bucket ram it was a relief not to have to worry about a major clean up and the cost of that.

  2. #2willie592009-08-25 20:45

    Is bio fluid something that is required for you to use? Or is it your just concerned about potential oil problems? I agree with Stock, it would be expensive for you to change over. And it would be very difficult to remove all the petroleum fluid from your machine before changing to a different fluid. Would the bio fluid be compatible (mix with) with remaining petro fluid in the system? And depending how much petro fluid remains in the system, you might still have an oil issue with a leak. Something you might you to have around is Peat Zorb from Zorbit Technologies. I noticed at their website they have a location in Mississauga. I use this stuff out on our equipment yard. It will completely absorb and encapsulate hydrocarbons, and it doesn't absorb water. You can even throw it on an oil/fuel slick on water and it will suck up the hydrocarbons. You can read all this at their website. Send us a pick of your rig when you get it. Peat Zorb website: http://www.peatsorb.com/

  3. #3BrianHay2009-08-25 22:40

    I use Panolin in my excavator. Really good stuff but I pay nearly $100/gallon for it.

  4. #4John C.2009-08-26 01:10

    In my area the only jobs that require it that I have seen are government. The bid spec carries it and if you want the job you better prove you have it in your machines. I have heard a couple of stories about reduced component life but nothing I can varify yet. I'm also wondering if the bio oil is compatible with the rubber liners inside standard hydraulic hose. It seems I keep hearing stories of blown hoses after that stuff is installed. I keep asking myself is it because of old hoses, damage or chemical decomposition of the hose?