Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Blackberry removal

coopers ยท 2005-03-15 18:19

So how long do you guys think it would take to remove 6 foot high thick blackberry canes with a 120 excavator? Two to three acres too I should mention. About actually. I had a guy come in wanting to rent something to do that job and I said mow them, he said the terrain was not suitable for a tractor (trying to fight the terrain and mow at the same time) so I mentioned a dozer with a rake but a regular that comes in to rent (works for a local excavation business) said an excavator would be faster? I would think a dozer with a rake but he said excavator. So how long would it take. Day or two? Blake WA

Replies6
  1. #1DKinWA2005-03-15 23:44

    I'm assuming you're talking either the evergreen or himalayan blackberry that's so common around our part of the state. On rough ground, I also find the excavator is faster. I could probably do 3 or 4 acres in a day with a 4 or 5 foot brush rake, but it really depends on how clean the ground needs to picked.

  2. #2coopers2005-03-16 01:33

    Huh, okay, thanks for the info. Does having a standard diggin bkt. make it slower or does it matter (with a thumb of coarse, we don't have rakes for our trackhoes)? I know that removing b. berries with a backhoe was a pain in the but, I hated it. Blake WA

  3. #3DKinWA2005-03-16 23:40

    Any bucket will work, but a wider bucket just rakes more ground faster. You could do it with a 12", but it would take a lot longer than a 42" bucket. And yes, the thumb is very important for making the work go quickly.

  4. #4coopers2005-03-17 03:53

    Do you charge by the hour or by the job? Blake WA

  5. #5DKinWA2005-03-17 23:24

    Hourly and by the job. It depends on the project and customer.

  6. #6coopers2005-03-17 23:28

    Cool, that's what I thought. Blake WA