Hello I have a Detroit 4-53 diesel that had a fuel line break! I am first wondering how to bleed those lines and second would it be effective to put in a air dog lift pump ? Any help would be appreciated, thanks
It is a flow system. If you are moving fuel through the fuel/gear pump it will bleed itself.
they can be a real bitch when you run them out of fuel. Sometimes the gear pump won't pick up if it's real empty. What I always did was hook an electric pump inline between the tank and fuel pump. Away it goes, and then remove the electric. On machines that the operator made a habit out of running out of fuel, I just left the electric pump inline and left it unhooked (alligator clips to the battery or alternator) to save time & effort. Aside from that, fill the fuel filters with fuel, it will start.
Another way to do it. Pressure the fuel tank with a hand held rag and air hose in the filler. Have the fitting at the fuel pump inlet loose while pressuring it. When fuel pours out of the fitting, snug it down. I have been told this can be risky but it has worked for me. Stay sane with the air pressure.
Thank you for your info, I will get a small pump and try that
In "most" cases, just filling the filters with diesel will be enough to make it run.
have you re-plumbed any of the fuel system hoses or fittings? there should be a restrictor fitting on the return line,just as it comes out of the cylinder head..if you removed any fittings check for the presence of that fitting without it the fuel system will never build any pressure and won't start or be starved for fuel.It's a simple brass fitting that is restricted like 1/8" or so..look for it, sometimes disguised as a 90deg elbow right off the head,always on the return line
Good Morning, So a quick up date and a thank you to all that responded. After breaking a fuel line I replaced and used a 12v pump in line to get fuel up to head! worked great. Thanks again.