Hello all Hope you're well. I don't know if anyone can help me on this one but I thought I'd give it a try. Today we had our Cat CS 563D roller S/N CATCS563C2RZ00534 run out of fuel, I unfortunately have no operations manual and cannot for the life of me work out how to bleed the fuel system on it. There is no fuel priming pump on it any where and the fuel filters have a bizzare arrangement of one is mounted directly up side down above the other, it's a very strange system on it. It's a 3116 engine. Thanks Steve
There's a priming pump on top of the fuel/water separator and two (?) bleed valves to open on the fuel filter housing you described. It will take a lot of pumping.
Hi CMark Our machine doesn't have a fuel/water separator? As I said it's a very strange set up. It has the two yellow plastic bleed screws that can be turned 90 degrees, even these seem a stupid idea when you consider one is for a filter that is mounted upside down.
Are you sure there's no F/WS? We look after a 2RZ not far removed from your machine serial number wise and it has one. Maybe someone has removed it? Can you post photos of the right side of the engine/radiator area? All the 1.1 and 1.2 MUI engines have the opposing fuel filter arrangement. I agree it looks weird but seems to work OK. Until you have to change the filters when it becomes a bit of a pain in the arse catching the spilt fuel, that is.
I was talking to the OP and he finally bled the system by installing a pair of vice grips on the fuel return line then using a tank cap with an airline connection on it and pressurizing the system to 20psi. At that point it was easy to bleed the system at the check/relief valve as the return fuel line exits the engine. At some point the F/WS has been removed from this particular machine and replaced by a plain old fuel filter. Maybe the clear bowl had cracked or the hand priming pump was leaking, who knows..? Not exactly conducive to bleeding the system but I guess the person who made the switch never thought of that.