Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bleeding Meritor Full Pressure Hydraulic Brakes

mekanik ยท 2023-06-07 10:09

I have a bus in the shop with Wabco Full Pressure Hydraulic brakes. It was towed to the shop after someone butchered the wiring harness and swapped the brake ECU from another vehicle. I replaced the fuses and smoke started coming out of the ECU. I ordered a complete Hydraulic Compact Control Unit for it. Does anyone here know where to get an adaptor that will fit the reservoir on the master cylinder? Meritor says not to manually bleed the system that it must be pressure bled. The Snap-On dealer could not supply us with one. There are a lot of these on the roads what are mechanics using to bleed them? Terry

Replies8
  1. #1Truck Shop2023-06-07 15:48

    Fellow I know who takes care of the local school buses had his adaptor made.

  2. #2mekanik2023-06-08 10:56

    I'm thinking I may have to do the same.

  3. #3Truck Shop2023-06-08 11:56

    He searched he said, turned up nothing.

  4. #4mekanik2023-06-10 09:47

    I bought a 18" length of 2" round aluminium yesterday. I spent a couple hours last night machining the lock ring. It was a real pain machining the bayonet lugs. A 1/8" endmill running at 900 rpm. I cut a snap ring groove in it and I am going to make it in two pieces. The finished lock ring waiting for some final deburring.

  5. #5heymccall2023-06-10 10:25

    Looks like this one

  6. #6mekanik2023-06-10 10:50

    That looks close. There are two different ones. One for the HPB system and one for the Hydroboost system.

  7. #7mekanik2023-06-10 13:57

    A little touch up with a file and the ring fit perfectly. Made the rest up and pressed it together. The manual says to put 35 PSI in the plastic reservoir and if you have difficulty bleeding the brakes raise the pressure to 45 PSI. I think I will do that with the hood closed.

  8. #8mekanik2023-09-09 22:55

    I made an adaptor for the hydro-boost reservoir today. I usually get the guy from the parts counter to pump the brake pedal but then the phone rings. So three hours later: