Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Blew Hydraulic Drive hose on CAT 279C

rust buster ยท 2019-08-11 19:40

I blew the left side lower hydraulic drive hose on my 279C today...of course it's in a bad spot and without any hydraulics, I cannot move it. Looking at the fitting, it's in a bad spot between the track and the chassis. Am going to have to get a mobile repair unit out and do they have to remove the track to get to it? Looks like the hose itself is $263 from CAT.

Replies8
  1. #1kshansen2019-08-12 06:47

    What's the S/N of machine and the part number of hose you are dealing with, might give someone an idea of what is involved. Have to love how excavators know the worst place to blow a hose. We had one pop a hose right in a ditch between two fields with six inches of water flowing in it. And to add to the fun the fittings were so rusted the bolt heads broke off trying to turn them!

  2. #2Vetech632019-08-12 07:06

    I just replaced all the drive hoses on a 299D a few weeks back. A crowsfoot is your friend!

  3. #3Tones2019-08-12 07:07

    Most likely crowsfoot spanner ( wrench) is your friend. Vetech63 beat me to it.

  4. #4Danny L. Thomas2019-08-12 08:58

    I blew the left high speed hose on my 279C2 a few weeks back. It is a beach to get to but can be done without removing the track. I looked high and low for a crowsfoot wrench with no luck. I needed the machine back up so I didn't want to wait while ordering one from somewhere. I wound up having to take the hose above it off to get to the blown hose. The hardest part for me was getting to the pump end of the hose. It is in the nether regions of the pan and I never saw it, could only work by feel. I have been recovering from broken hip surgery in April and that didn't make it any easier. Endeavor to persevere.

  5. #5kshansen2019-08-12 14:22

    Danny can feel you pain! On the 350L we had fun working on in the mud hole nut on end of lines and bolt heads on split flange clams were rusted to the point no wrench would touch them. We ended up torching some bolt heads off and using a hammer and chisel to split the hose end nuts. Then replaced all fittings and clamps that were damaged. I also, in no uncertain words, told my boss that we were going to take that machine right to the shop after it hit the wash bay and replace all the same hoses to the left side drive motor. I think he agreed fast as he knew I was going to be retiring in less than one year and he didn't want to deal with it after I was gone!

  6. #6rust buster2019-08-12 21:45

    It's an MBT serial prefix and it looks like the hose I blew is P/N 258-3962. You are right that it may be the pump side that is the harder side to get to, which is really saying something. The hose itself is $332 from my local CAT dealer and I can only imagine what the labor is to get it replaced. I'm on active duty military orders until Friday so I will not have time to try my luck. I need it for Saturday so I'm forced to pay the mobile repair service. It is always something! It looks like the hose rubbed right through the steel belting. The protective plate has a little slit in it (designed that way) and that looks like the area that cut it through. Not sure if it is bent or what...Want to make sure it doesn't happen again!

  7. #7Nige2019-08-13 04:09

    If you search recent threads I posted info regarding an improved guarding system for machine like yours. Not sure if it would helps with your issue. Check out post #43. HeavyEquipmentForums

  8. #8Danny L. Thomas2019-08-13 09:03

    That's exactly what happened to the hose that failed on mine. When I reinstalled the guard where the hoses go inside the machine, I double wrapped all the hoses with inner tube rubber and zip tied it in place. That ought to help at least slow down future abrasion.