Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Blew hydraulic hose on the left track motor 279C2

jmx143 ยท 2025-01-26 20:27

Hi all- I had quite the leak today, heard a whine and stopped to see oil all over the ground. I shut it down, checked the tank and there was about a gallon left and shes no less down deep in the forest. I saw a very a few videos and one where he recommends sliding the entire undercarriage off so you can access the hoses, but wasn't sure if my mini 302.7d would be able to pull it up so then I found a similar post here , so proceeded to give it a go. I have all the hoses off and out of the way except the one that is blown. Its also the largest. Also heard talk about the crowfoot spanners and that's where I am now.. Can anyone share the size of the crowfoot spanner used for the large hose in the middle (high speed?), I believe it to be p/n 378-0956? I want to buy the correct wrench for this one, looks big assume 1 3/8? Thanks, Jason

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2025-01-26 20:37

    Attached the parts illustration for the drive lines. Can't help you with the size of the spanner you need.

  2. #2jmx1432025-01-26 20:46

    Thank you, yes looks to be #14, attaches right in the middle.

  3. #3jmx1432025-01-28 18:54

    Update: Got a set of Crowsfoot online.. Its a 1 7/16th. Was able to get this off, then lifted the cab and loosened the hydraulic tank hose, removed the hydraulic hose that was in the way and had a few wire ties that hold the speed sensor, just cut them couldn't figure out how to remove intact during my lunch break. Attached some process pics and the finally the damaged hose, just worn, to me it looks like this steel wrap is the culprit, is this factory? I'm 2nd owner from a CAT rental, had for 9 years and got it with 2000 hours. Off to the dealer next!

  4. #4Simon C2025-01-28 19:05

    Better get a bag or good rag to cover that black rubber hose before a spec of nasty goes through your pump. Cleanliness is super important. Simon C

  5. #5jmx1432025-01-28 19:17

    Thanks Simon, I'm gonna be pulling it off (and cleaning) to access the smaller one with a hose clamp going at a right angle into the pump, as it is showing some signs of aging

  6. #6jmx1432025-02-26 14:26

    Hey figured I should close the loop here. All is good, I ended up cleaning and wrapping and routing the speed sensor wire (it was throwing a code and beeping every 5 feet). Took 12 gallons of CAT Hydro 10, that stuff is like gold at $26/gallon Someone had stated they wrapped the hoses with an old intertube, so I did this as well. Noticed on the other side the drive hose was showing signs of wear so I wrapped that one as well.