Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Block heater for an SVL95-2s?

carletal · 2024-12-21 20:26

I am looking to put a "screw threaded" Kubota block heater in my SVL95-2s. Kubota lists this screw threaded 120V heater for the machine. Looking for a location where it screws in, presumable replacing a block plug, but NOT a freeze plug. I prefer to heat the coolant and not just a magnetic or stick on to the oil tank. I asked service at a large Kubota dealership (in PA) and the answer was the DEF system becomes not compatible with a block heater, as it would provide conflicting sensor readings at various points and make starting the machine difficult to impossible. How can that be possible if Kubota specifically lists this plug for this specific machine. The only threaded location I can find is the "engine crankcase drain stopcock" that is located on the side of the block, about 3-4 inches North of the oil dipstick entry. I doubt the treads are the same as the heater plug, but I haven't tried to pull that plug yet. Anyone have any idea how where to locate where this plug heater goes? Please note, I don't care about the DEF system, as it is "removed." (This is a personal and not commercial machine). #77700-08260 Block Heater Kit w/ 60" Cord

Replies7
  1. #1Coaldust2024-12-21 21:06

    I think it screws into a threaded boss under the fuel pump on the RH side. But, I’m guessing. That’s too bad about the emission garbage falling off. But, sometimes it just happens.

  2. #2carletal2024-12-21 21:13

    Yeah, my DEF system happily "fell off" and the machine has run like a top ever since. I will look for that threaded boss and let you know.

  3. #3Coaldust2024-12-21 21:21

    Oh’ I just noticed you are a new fella. Welcome to the HEF. Good to have you. We have the skill and we have the tools and we know how to chat. If you are looking for a Forum, the HEF is where it’s at!

  4. #4carletal2024-12-21 21:33

    Thank you ! I am an adequate mechanic and have worked on "bad stuff", like Volvo's and Jaguars lots. I am finally retired, so I have lots of time to work on my machines. Again, I look forward to participating on this site! Thanks again for the welcome.

  5. #5carletal2025-01-04 22:04

    Ok, still can't find it. That engine is really hard to get a look at the sides of! I tilted the radiator out and opened the access panels underneath the bed and still can't see a removable block plug. I did get to clean the belly out well though, so not a total skunking. Any other suggestions? Do the heaters that install in the lower radiator hose (there is a good vertical section it could go in) work? They are heat convection dynamics only. I'd still like to put that plug heater in though. Thanks.

  6. #692U 34062025-01-04 22:12

    A block heater is not compatible with the DEF system? I'm no Kubota expert but that is one of the most wack things I've heard all year.

  7. #7carletal2025-01-04 23:06

    92U: The DEF system on the 95-2s is a disaster anyway. That it might be "sensitive" to conflicting temperature readings from too many sensors could really be. I don't care one way or another as my DEF is removed and while I was at it I had the CPU programmed to do the full 120HP this engine is capable of. Makes it a very "twitchy" machine till you get used to it. (Remember, this is a non-commercial use machine). So, yes, they sell the damn screw in plug block heater, for this specific machine, so I think there should be a very unhandy place to screw it in!