Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

block heater location- Case 580 SK – 4-390 engine

gabtrac ยท 2016-12-04 18:37

Help please. I've spent the last 2 days trying to start my 580SK. She was running fine before being left to sit for the past month just as the cold weather arrived. She's old and doesn't have great compression. But we checked all the possible fuel issues/solenoid etc, and have decide she's just too cold to get started. I need to install a block heater, but cant be sure which frost plug it needs to go in. There are two on the right side of the engine just above the starter that seem perfect. But I'm not sure, and the local dealer doesn't know... Any assistance would be appreciated. Also any suggestions on which block heater to get would be great. Thanks!

Replies16
  1. #1Billrog2016-12-04 21:22

    In the mean time you can use a few lengths of stove pipe with an elbow and a tiger torch. http://www.colemanequip.com/Case-58...-BLOCK-4-390-DIESEL-ENGINE-BLOCK-HEATER-0WYa/

  2. #2fpgm042016-12-04 21:59

    Gabtrac, For what it is worth the reference the Case parts website showing the factory heater. (heater kit part number 196803A1 / A77634 containing parts 37..39 ) http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html View attachment 162134 While I don't know for sure the history of my SK, my heater looks factory style and is installed in the rearward plug location. Below is a picture of mine. The heater has always functioned for me, so while there are probably several options to install a heater, I can tell you this location works.

  3. #3gabtrac2016-12-05 12:34

    Hey THANKS!!! That is exactly what I needed to know! Much appreciated. Cheers.

  4. #4rickw2016-12-13 07:53

    Also when you buy it from the dealer it comes with good directions for install. Mine did not have one so I put one in. It is a rubber compression seal instead of a drive it freeze plug seal like the one in the pic. I am pretty sure it told which freeze plug it went in also. You can have the engine warm enough to warm your hands on the head in about 1.5 hrs of plugging it in.

  5. #5gabtrac2016-12-13 11:38

    Thank you. That brings up another question please. How long does it need to be plugged in for? No point in wasting energy. Also... does it heat up the oil pan/oil or would that require a separate oil pan heater? Best, a

  6. #6old-iron-habit2016-12-13 18:23

    Frost plug heaters will only heat up the water in the engine. I have two original equipment ones in a 4-53 detroit in a Feller Buncher and I heat it in about an hour in the coldest temperature off of a generator. If you want to heat the oil it would take a separate heater. I have been told by some whom I believe to be knowledgeable folks that 90% of the friction is in the cylinders and 10% in the crank, rods, and oil pan. Hope to hear some feedback from others on that last comment.

  7. #7gabtrac2016-12-13 18:36

    I don't live in "really" cold area - max -4 C. My machine is just tired/old and hates the cold. So I'd like to make as easy for her to start as possible. But, I also don't want to be spending money on redundant heat sources, if ya know what I mean... Thanks.

  8. #8thrashingcows2016-12-13 19:13

    If the temps never get colder then -5*C then you should be fine with just the coolant block heater. I just installed one in my 1845C with a cummins 4B....I installed it in the other frost plug location then the pic that fpgm04 posted up. Good couple hours should get things nice and toasty.

  9. #9Tinkerer2016-12-18 14:27

    I don't know maybe this will help. --------> HeavyEquipmentForums

  10. #10thepumpguysc2016-12-18 14:47

    Why not get the fuel system checked? I would get new tips in the injectors.. a correct atomized fuel pattern will do more for an engine than anything I can think of. And advance the timing on the injection pump a * or 2.. theres an arrow on the name plate on the pump.. loosen the 3 nuts/bolts and rotate the pump OPPOSITE the direction of the arrow.

  11. #11Billrog2016-12-18 16:41

    When it's -5 C or colder a good fuel system doesn't hurt but nothing beats a block heater for saving wear and tear on your engine and starter. If I'm going to use my machine the next day I set the timer for 3 hrs. before I plan to start and it will melt the snow right off the hood down to -5 C or 20 F colder than that won't melt the snow.

  12. #12gabtrac2016-12-18 17:24

    Thanks everyone - excellent advice and much appreciated. re: injectors/tips... I have the service manual, but have never cleaned or rebuilt an injector. Is it a difficult or tricky job to replace the tips or is that a pro-shop thing? Cheers,

  13. #13thepumpguysc2016-12-18 19:08

    Its a pro job.. IF you attempt it, you'll break the pins inside and it will cost you ALOT MORE $ to get them back.

  14. #14gabtrac2016-12-18 22:32

    Thanks!!!

  15. #15backhoe bill2016-12-19 15:48

    just checked my sk and the block heater is in the forward frost plug between the starter and oil filter. Probably the easier installation. 1 hr plugged in started mine in minus 4 celsius

  16. #16gabtrac2016-12-20 14:52

    Thanks BB, I won't be back to the rig for another 2 weeks or so. But I will put everyone's advice to work then. All the very best for the holiday season and new year!