Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Blowby from Turbo or Comp Rings?

sepulchral ยท 2016-02-18 10:23

Before i try disconnecting the drain tube of my turbo on my bobcat skidsteer (turbo kubota engine), i wanted to describe symptoms. Every cold start involves burning of oil in the exhaust for 20 seconds, then it burns off, includes symptoms of blowby.. Does this sound like turbo failure or compression rings? engine has 2400hrs If there is more information needed, lmk. Is there a way I can measure blowby?

Replies2
  1. #1hetkind2016-02-18 10:44

    There are couple ways of looking at this...one is to look at the engine vent tube, or simply pull off the oil cap while running and see what comes out. Valve seals will produce the same symptoms. If in doubt, pull the engine for rebuild before it gets worse. Howard

  2. #2bam19682016-02-18 12:15

    I don't have expereience with this particular engine but the few times I have had a turbo fail it has very excessive smoke that didn't stop and/or blew oil out of the exhaust.