I just had my cylinder for my JD310a rebuilt and was told the threads were weak. I installed it and the cap blew off. The threads are stripped, the cap will thread on but will not stay on. Is there a way to repair this? I was thinking of welding it on or drilling the cylinder where the set screw is and putting in 3 or 4 grade 8 bolts. I hope I do not need a new cylinder. Nick
It can be welded on. The weld can be removed in a lathe if the cylinder needs to be repaired in the future.
Yeah I'd weld it. If you're not proficient in welding pay someone else to do it. I would imagine that it is critical that the weld is made carefully so that the heating and cooling and contracting doesn't pull the cylinder out of round. Also make sure the cylinder is fully retracted and the wiper seal doesn't get overheated when welding. It might be cheaper and safer just to get a used cylinder with a good gland nut and repack it. I can't imagine how the threads would be stripped on the gland nut / cylinder end or how the shop could torque it to spec with stripped threads. I'd be interested in seeing a picture.