Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bob Cat S175 stalling on Hydrostatic hydraulics

ciaran ยท 2016-07-13 01:08

Hi Gents, I have this machine ( Bobcat S175) that I have been left with after a few other fellas have had a go at it. It is stalling out the engine when the machine is being steered at full swash on the pumps. If ramped up slowly on forward and reverse it is fine but if it is pulled hard in to full swash it will kill the engine to the point of nearly stalling. I have set up all the linkage as per the manual and sorted out the creep adjustment and the straight travel adjustment etc. That is all good now but it is still stalling out when in full swash ( Mainly when turning ). The fuel lines are all clear and new fuel and air filters fitted. The filter inside the tank was not there when I removed the tube. I change the fuel lines from the tank to the filter head in case of any rip inside the line causing a flap. There has been a new pump fitted to this machine a few months ago along with some other electrical parts. I had nothing to do with the job then but it has been handed on to me now. Hopefully some one can help. Regards Ciaran

Replies2
  1. #1willie592016-07-13 22:18

    I assume this is a standard control machine with manual levers/links that control the drive and not an Advanced Hand Control machine with servos that control the drive pumps. Without the benefit of hearing what the machine is doing myself it would be hard for me to say with certainty what's causing your problem. But for the sake of the discussion, engine stalling under a hard drive load. There's really only two things that I can think of that would cause that, 1) something in the drive system demanding more HP output than the engine can deliver, which honestly, I can't think of anything about the drive on that machine that would do that. That's not to say it's not possible, just something I've never seen, and 2) problem with the engine, especially fuel delivery. It sounds like you've addressed the common fuel supply problems, the fuel pick up tube inside tank, fuel lines from tank to engine, and you mentioned a new pump, I assume you're referring to the lift pump. If the engine has the external fuel shut down solenoid, make certain the solenoid is pulling the fuel lever fully into the run position, if it's not it will affect fuel delivery under a hard load. I don't think the S175 had a turbo, but I can't remember if they have an EGR system. If it does, you might want to remove the intake pipe hose a get a look into the intake and see if it's all clogged with carbon. IMHO, an EGR on a diesel engine is a worser idea than a screen door on a submarine. Aside from these things, you could have a problem with the injection system itself, injection pump or injectors. I assume you folks in Ireland are using Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel like we are here in the states. ULSD is tougher on injection systems than the old diesel we used to burn. Also, make sure the bleed valve on the return line at the injection pump is screwed closed, if that valve is open it can affect engine performance. Keep checking things and let us know if you can offer any more info.

  2. #2ciaran2016-07-14 03:18

    Yes Willie the machine is standard linkage control. There was a new hydraulic pump fitted not the lift pump. I have been right through it and it will stall the engine on the implements too when they are over relief. The bleed valve is closed tight so no bypass there. I have been trough the records and there has been no engine work done on it since it came new. So I will be looking at the engine end of things.