Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 322 Leaking @ Swivel – Pics inside!

Stroked-z ยท 2013-03-24 11:23

Hey guys, purchased this mini ex and the swivel is leaking. Its coming from the very bottom of the machine, looks like right behind the snap ring. I brake-cleaned and blew off the whole area. Let it sit for 12 hrs or so and then you can see it weep. Looks like someone had "siliconed" it and tried to stop it from leaking at one point. My question is, can i just removel the snap ring and get to the seal right behind it? I have the parts diagram from the dealer and was planning on ordering just the bottom seals/ring. Does the outer case pull off or? Let me know, never taken one of these apart but the mechanically inclined aspect i have covered Thanks in advance -Carm

Replies14
  1. #1Stroked-z2013-03-24 11:26

    Pics are in above links to my photobucket.

  2. #2willie592013-03-24 21:01

    Every leaking swivel joint that I've worked on required removal of joint and disassembly.

  3. #3Stroked-z2013-03-25 08:00

    Thanks for the reply Willie but that did not answer my question Someone has definetly been in there before, and the joint is leaking from behind the snap-ring only. I ordered the seals this AM from Bobcat, and ill tear it apart as soon as theyre in. If you have any info it would be great, if not i guess ill figure it out

  4. #4melli2013-03-25 16:46

    Whoever had a go thinking silicone would patch it up for any length of time was seriously mistaken...imho On the parts diagram, you planned to order what is written? The thing will have to be taken apart to install all those rings/seals noted. I have a 331 so mine is slightly different...it looks like I can change out the O-ring with out disassembling, but I'd be wondering if the internals are leaking (blowby). Sounds like the crown seal is toast. The o-ring at plate/cover isn't meant to take pressure. jm2c best.

  5. #5Stroked-z2013-03-25 16:52

    Thanks for the quick reply. I just ordered everything and will pull the whole unit this weekend and change it all.

  6. #6mikebramel2013-03-25 17:34

    Its an easy job, just mark every other line that is the same size fitting that may be confused

  7. #7willie592013-03-25 20:26

    Sorry, I couldn't answer your question specifically as I haven't worked on a 332 swivel, but plenty of others, just saying I've yet to work on a swivel joint that didn't require complete disassembly to repair a leaker. Generally speaking, it helps to have proper plugs/caps for the hoses you disconnect to prevent leaking a lot of oil when pulling the unit. Take pictures of how unit is oriented before you remove it, mark hose connections to ports, nothing is worse than getting things crossed up when you install the unit.

  8. #8Stroked-z2013-03-26 17:39

    Great thanks guys. I will update after the weekend hopefully !

  9. #9Ryanrb252013-04-11 02:13

    i have removed a swivel joint out of our 323 as it was leaking in the same way....A bolt had broken out of where it mounted up the top and therefor was obviously cocked over to one side....over a period of time it had slowly worn elongated and started leaking. The cost of a metal spray to build up the original with seals was the same cost of a brand new one at $1200 (probably cheaper for you in the states aswell). Saved the heart ache and just purchased a new one. If i were u would get a price for a replacement brand new item aswell as your cost and time for resealing your current swivel. Just my opinion.

  10. #10Stroked-z2013-04-20 18:03

    Just wanted up update. I got it all done. Used multicoloured zip ties to mark all the lines. Total time not including pre-cleaning etc was about 8 hrs. Took the swivel pump apart and found the top and bottom seals "weather cracked" or looking like that. Not sure if its just wear or wrong fluid etc. The cylinder was in good shape, didn't look like any major wear. I replaced both these seals with new ones. Bobcat has changed the design. The old ones consisted of 2 parts, an o-ring bottom and a wider thinner seal over it. The new seals were 2 part as well but both the same looking. They seems to be a different material as well. Anyhow works great as it did and does not leak! Don't be discouraged if you run into this problem. Cost me under $75 including seals & oil to fix this. Some time and patience goes a long way. To all the "parts throwers" out there changing parts instead of fixing things.....you never know until you take it apart.

  11. #11willie592013-04-20 22:14

    Good to hear you dove in there and got it done. :drinkup

  12. #12snocrete2013-04-20 23:55

    Good for you stroked-z, for getting it done! But just want to add a couple things to your thread. First off, swivel joint failure/leakage is known to be common on these machines around the 1000hr mark (+/-)....this was info given to me by a long time Bobcat mechanic when I found mine to begin leaking. Then heard this from another owner/operator (later on) that owns a few of the 322/323 mini's. You must be a pretty darn good mechanic(with A LOT of patience, lol), because I would call this a "pita" project.

  13. #13Stroked-z2013-04-22 08:32

    It actually looked way more intimidating than it was. After cleaning everything (pressure washer) and labelling everything, it was a joke. Really just common sense after that. Remove some lines, keep everything clean etc. The swivel pump itself was a little heavy and awkward to guide down the underside upon removal, but thats about it. I took that & degreased it all as well (varsol wash tank) before seperating it. Its only 1 snapring on the bottom side & you seperate the inner (that holds the seals) to the outer. Anyhow, not as bad as i originally thought to do the whole project and for under $75 in repairs im happy

  14. #14Poppa Bobcat2016-07-17 08:10

    Hello Stroked-Z, Just a question for ya. I have the same same machine as you and recently replaced all 16 bolts that hold upper structure to lower structure. All went well. Since then I have noticed some hydraulic oil leaking from under carriage.....I`m pretty sure its coming from the swivel joint. When yours was leaking did your left and right swing from the joystick seem harsh......when slightly moving left or right.....very abrupt while trying to move it gently? I notice with mine it is doing this and only when engine rpms are high......trying to pin point if it is in the swivel joint or spool valve or joystick.....I just replaced both crossport relief valves. hoping that was going to do it but its still there......also at high rpms when I stop the swing either left or right it will continue to slowly creep in the last direction I was going in. Any input you have on this is greatly appreciated.