I’ve got an older Bobcat 331 that was running when it was parked a few years ago and we’re trying to get it going again. It does turn over. We drained the fuel, replaced the injection return lines and put a new fuel filter on it. We have fuel getting to the injection pump, but can’t get it to the #1 injector. I don’t know where to go from here. I’m looking for any input that can help me.
fuel shutoff solenoid? fuse?
We disconnected the fuel shut off solenoid, so it is open. Took the plate off of the injection pump also, to be sure everything inside was freed up. We ran a fuel line hose directly into a fuel can and pressurized it with some forced air. We checked all of the fuses we could find and they were good.
Took what plate off.??
I’m probably using the wrong terminology.
U said u disconnected the solenoid.. did u remove it from the lever or just pulled the electrical connector.? U have to remove it from the lever.. Have u opened the lines AT THE INJECTORS.?? Doing so will allow the air to escape.. U say the control rack moves freely left and right.? If so, unless it’s air bound, there’s no reason for it not to fire off..
Removed it from the lever. Yes, we bled the injectors, but can’t get the fuel to the #1 injector. We are going to get a little electric pump to see if that works, we are running fuel straight from the jug right now, using an air hose to add some pressure inside the jug. Someone said it sounds like the fuel pump. Using the little electric pump with our fuel jug setup should let us know if we need to replace that. Someone else just suggested changing the injector pump bleeder valve, because they have had that part allowing air in on other 331’s, so I have one of those on order.
A lot going on here that's still not clear to us as we're not there. 1) parked a few years ago and trying to get it going. So, that means it won't run at all? 2) can't get fuel to #1 injector. So, other injector ports are spitting fuel at the pump yet it still won't run?
Yes. Correct on both. It does try to crank. And, yes, it probably does have a lot going on, lol. First step is, of course, to get the engine to start. Sorry I was unclear, I was trying not to get off in the weeds too bad and focusing on the fuel problem. I was recently told about a common problem with the 331’s injector pump bleeder valve, so I ordered one tonight. I’m going to go ahead and change that to see if maybe that is the problem.
If the other 3 are pumping and nothing out of 1… u have inj pump problems..?? It’s got a mechanical supply pump that feeds the inj pump.. Take off the feed line at the inj pump inlet and have a helper crank the engine with the starter and watch the line.. it should squirt fuel..
Using a set-up where I’m pumping diesel from a fuel jug with a little electric pump, all four injector lines are squirting fuel.
And still not starting. Even tried some starting fluid.
Don’t use starting fluid.. have u hung an injector outside the engine to see if the pump is pumping enough fuel to pop an injector.??
No, I haven’t tried that yet. I was going to take the injection pump apart and be sure there isn’t anything obstructing the flow there. There was a lot of trash in the fuel filter. I will add that to the list, tho!
U don’t wanna do that.!! There’s nothing in the pump u can fix.. In order to look at anything important, it comes apart from the bottom.. Hanging an injector will tell you the condition of the pump without getting yourself in over your head..
Ok. Thanks. I’ll hang an injector first!