So here's the deal. I do light dirt work and brush clearing with my skid and tractor and am looking to add a mini ex to the operation. I know for just digging the Tak TB135 would be the better option, but I also want the ability to run a mower head for the brush clearing. A 30 inch head would be fine with me, as I have a six footer for the skid and a eight footer for the tractor. Of these two machines which one would you pick for general digging and running a 30 inch head. Or is there another machine in this size range that you would recommend. I don't want to go to much over 8000 pounds for transport reasons so keep that in mind if you recomend looking at a different machine. Also should I be looking harder at zero swing machines? Is the added premium worth it for general use or should I just rent one if the job calls for it? Thanks.
One other thing to note. I am only looking at used machines and will be paying cash (I hate debt). I'm willing to drive for the right deal but would like to keep the machine cost around 20k if possible and at most 30k.
the only other machine i would compare to the two you are interested in is a kubota kx121. i recently looked for one, and was also shopping for a bobcat 331 or 334. i purchased a 06 takeuchi tb135 from a rental house in oklahoma for 17,289.00. came with a warranty and has 880 hours on the clock. very pleased with its performance, it is heavy and balanced well. the sheet iron is thick, and it is a simple machine with very few electronics. i installed a tag hyd. thumb and reccomend you do the same. i like the high quality grammar seat and the feel of the pilot controls. feels like a quality, smooth machine while operating it. based on my limited use of the tb135, i would say stay away from the zero swing machines. i like the rear access to my motor and other comoponents. i have only viewed pictures of the zero swings such as deere, case, and komatsu. they look like a real pain to merely service. it has also been said that they rider rougher due to the lack of a counterweight. the best description of a zero swing was "10lbs. of potatoes in a 5lb. sack". i love my takeuchi, and feel that parts werent overpriced either. recently ordered joysticks and electronics controls for it. button covers were $20, and the main lower part of the joystick with the electronics in it was $54. didnt take two days to get parts from McCann in illinois, and i live in oklahoma. best of luck to you finding a machine, i think you can purchase more machine than you realize for $30k.
Taks are awesome excavators. I'm very partial to my fr 053. That being said, others have mentioned that they have low aux flow numbers. I think they have that corrected with the newer models. I've ran several bobcats, and have not liked any of them. My biggest gripe is that they are jerky and can only accomplish 2 functions at once...
A thumb and some sort of quick attach will be mandatory, weather the machine comes with it or I have to add it as will be a cab. I've hit a few ground hornet nests with my other mowers and quickly decided that the cabs were the best money I ever spent on them.