Hi all, new to the forum. Thinking of buying a mini excavator. Looked at and ran a 1999 bobcat 331e with quick tatch with 4345 hours on it. Ran very well, needs bushings replaced on one pin on bucket, two speed switch doesn't work, slight side to side play in house. Overall good shape. Price is $11,660 My questions / concerns are: Too many hours? Play in house/ turntable? Problem with 2 speed? Price fair? Any help would be great. Thanks Charlie
Pretty high hr for mini and sound rough use. Repairs and parts can be big money. What is your plan for machine? Light use around country property? Maybe ... but still spend another $9k and save it repair and break down and then have something you can resell latter to get money back.
Plan on using it at home. I am a electrician and do a lot of underground work. Took a second look at machine, bearing for turntable has play in it. Price now is $9500 + sales tax.
Well are you willing to sink $5000 into repairs and then still only have a $9500 machine ? I have recently went down this road with skidsteer. Paid $12500 and then spent $2500 in repairs in 2 months. sold it for $12000 So....best of luck.
Ran well? Motor solid, no smoke (change in revs or load can help one see it better). Internals clean, track and undercarriage solid? Raise a track, and there should be enough slack to check the idlers and rollers (side to side slop). Bushings in arm/boom/bucket are always crap in an older mini..jmho. If generally confined to bucket, no worries, but arm and boom usually means several grand to change out. 2-speed could be a loose wire under manifold...I get mine wet and it goes out. Play on house? Bobcats have a lot of play in their house. I'd see the owner greased it well and often...should see grease at all pivot points and under house...see a thin film oozing out. I guess it is just a canopy, not cab. Other than the motor, the big ticket items are the drive motors...I'd do a straightline drive to see that both are pulling evenly (see track tension is even first). I'd even check the oil in drive motor for signs of metal. Next, I'd pop up floor plate and check out swivel joint and swing motor for signs of leaks. Condition of hydraulic hoses, radiators, etc. If all good, sounds decent, especially at 9.5k. If no records of filter changes, I'd change them all. Hours are misleading up to a point...if treated well, no worries, but if flogged, run. A well maintained diesel can go 10k hours or more...What engine do they have in that year?
Motor is a 40 hp 4 cyl kubota. Found out they moved the 2 speed switch and put it on a toggle switch on the console. Works ok. One pin bushing needs replaced in bucket. I am going to keep looking, the idea of replacing the turntable bearing sucks. Also after running the machine a second time there is more swing slop than I thought. Maybe I can get them to drop the price a bit more.
Welcome to the forums Ripmosher!:drinkup This should give a little insight on what they are going for retail - http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...nu=BOBCAT&bcatid=4&Pref=0&scf=false&HDROR=asc