Hi Been looking for an skid steer fore some time, wanted one on tracks but they are few around here, but now this Bobcat 553 came up for sale not far from Me and with 1400 hours and $6800 with one bucket and forks. My use will be mainly loading my truck, the 553 have an tip height at 2159cm and my truckbed is 1960cm so I will probably be able to load the truck. Is this an ok skid steer ore just junk?
just remember, that machine is probably 20 years old.....
ITW I am struggling here - you want a machine with tracks but you are looking at an older 553 wheel machine. There is night and day difference between the oldest, smallest track skid steer to that 553. Give us a little more on what you want it to do. How much do you want to lift?
Hi too late i bought it I understand it's an bit confusing I should have left out the want one with tracks but are now looking at one with wheels. Here in Norway it's almost no skid steers at all, I don't know why but they are not much used here, so when I started looking I was after an tracked one, bur since it's only 20 skid steers total for sale in Norway and one of them have tracks, and an new one is out of the picture because of price. I found one Terex PT30 that was in my price range, but it had to short lift height, and than the 553 came out on Facebook only 2 hours from where I live. And yes it's 19 years old, only 1400 hours not much wear on joints so it's tight, kubota diesel engine always an good thing, and it's tip height is just so I can load my truck, and it was cheap. So i decided that this was an nice way to test if skid steer is something I can use in my work Now it's sitting in my garage waiting for an full oil change so I know when it's done and than it's out to work with it. So I'm hoping I done an good buy and I can use it for something productive, I do want an bigger bucket for it, it was an bit small I think, something that makes it easy to grade parking lots with. And there will be an video of me buying it on my youtube channel
Good Luck and keep us posted!
One thing to ponder. The dump height spec is typically at the hinge pin. This does not include how long the bottom of the bucket is. So when you dump, the lip of the bucket will extend lower into the truck. You can flip the bucket to get the material out but it makes it difficult. It is yours so hopefully you can make it work. The tires on these little machines make it difficult to work in the dirt. Maybe there are some larger tire options that will give you some floatation if your hoping to do work on parking lots. I personally find these things nearly worthless for any type of dirt work, but that is my experience and yours hopefully will be much better. I would only add that this machine will not be a good example of what a SSL can do. I predict it will only be frustrating.
I can see that in mud and on lawns it has nothing to do, but I have an job where I'm changing the top material on 16 parking lots so hopefully the Bobcat will be quicker to get the material and spred it out with than the tracked Minidumper I got. We will see If it's an total miss i havent to much in it. And I checked the specs on the tip with bucket at 40 degrees tip Will soon enough find out Video of me picking it up
Anyone know if there is some kind of standardization on the connection on the buckets? Need to find out what kind of connection I have on this one, if I need to get an bigger bucket..
553 uses the bobtach system, it's pretty much a "standard" with MOST skid steers. one thing to remember, the bigger the bucket, the heavier the load, the less you can lift, and the machine may become unstable when the bucket is lifted with a load
I'm planing an bigger bucket for grading, than with an longer bottom and a little wider, can use it only for grading, and I will need to change to have the height i need for loading the truck. Got an question from the shop if I my connection was called bobcat S100? But first I need to test the machine with the bucket I got.
don't let the hours ever dictate a sale. pay more attention to the skid loader and the seller. pins may be a little loose but can be repaired fairly easy. I would say you have good deal from what you are saying. tracks has there advantages and di-advantages. not good for all applications. good luck on your purchase, norm in Missouri.
The bucket on that machine almost looks like it could be snow bucket for light materials already. It looks deeper and higher than a standard dirt bucket. You should be able to see the cutting edge when the bucket is level on a standard dirt bucket. You won't see the cutting edge on a snow bucket. The other thing you really have to pay attention to is to tip the bucket forward as you lift or you will dump the material in your lap. This is very dangerous and I'm sure people have been seriously injured and killed when lifting loads really high and not tilting the bucket down as it rises.
Yes I think your right Case1234 it looks like an good machine for the price if I compare it around. The home paint isn't that good looking but mechanical it work good, I found out that the tilt cylinder is not holding position when parked so it probably need and set of new seals. Need to order an new stop cable for the engine, just need to find the length first. And last the fuel meter hangs, I can see it moves with the ignition but it dosent go over the last bar before empty so maybe something in the tank hanging. Welder Dave and I thought the bucket looked small for the machine, haven't had it on the machine yet so don't know if I see the cutting edge. Looking to find something like the grading bucket for the wheel loader Like this one with the long bottom. Good point about tilting the bucket as I lift, specially up here where it's a lot of rocks and stuff, wouldn't be so nice with an 50kg rock in the lap.
from the photos you have posted if its as good as it looks it would have already been sold here in the us.
It's rated for 850 lbs. You'd be surprised how heavy some material can be. I've tipped over on to the side of a dump truck a few times loading clay. You'd better have your wits about you when that happens. Had to dump the bucket to get back on 4 wheels. It's kind of scary when you have the bucket all the way up and start falling forward. Thankfully the truck stopped the machine from face planting me in the ground. A skid is a might handy machine but can also be very dangerous in the wrong hands.