Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 553 pump problem

Eddy-man ยท 2021-03-06 09:11

Good morning. My 553 has 4700 hours. moving last snow, the right drive stopped working. previously, my bucket operation was slow and I was getting low pressure dummy light. a heavy equipment tech friend advised it is sounding like the forward pump is not turning. i plan to pull it loose today and check the drive. anybody know where a pump could be found? I have checked with Google. Not finding. maybe a scrap unit that has the pump? Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies3
  1. #1Vetech632021-03-06 10:09

    You will need to do some basic troubleshooting before you condemn the pump as the problem. Operate all functions and notice which ones are slow or dont work. When you say the right track drive isnt working, do you mean it does nothing at all? .......No engine load, no pump load.....or hose flexing? The reason I ask is I run into alot of track drive failures on the Bobcats.......its pretty common. If you have no movement, pull the final drive drain plug and see if there is any metal on it or in the oil.

  2. #2Eddy-man2021-03-06 14:17

    nothing on the right side at all. No hose movement. This is a wheeled machine. Already opened the chain case and it is all in tact. going to pull the pump and front half and look. More interested in trying to find a replacement whether I need it or not.

  3. #3lantraxco2021-03-06 14:44

    The pumps turn in a line, two drive pumps and the loader function gear pump, so if it lifts and dumps, and one side of the drive is working, all three pumps are turning. Most likely you lost a drive motor, or something mechanical in the drive, or one pump is gone duff.