I have had a Bobcat 610 for almost a year now, and purchasing it has been one of the best financial decisions I've ever made. I welded up a quick attach plate for it, and now have several attachments. It had a hard life before I got it and gave it some TLC, but now she gets parked inside every night and usually gets plugged into a battery tender. Last week, my battery tender crapped out and I didn't have my Bobcat plugged in at all. Had to jump it, and then checked the battery voltage while running. It was at a standard resting voltage and falling slowly, so it is not charging. Increasing engine RPM had no effect on the voltage. From what I've seen, these older models have an external regulator for the alternator. I saw on an old forum post from 2014 that someone replaced their 610 alternator with a single wire GM alternator. Does anyone have a part number or link to an alternator that would work? I see direct factory replacement alternators online around $150 and external regulators for $32, but I'm not sure which component is faulty. I would like to just swap in a common off-the-shelf internally regulated alternator to simplify things in the future.
There are true one wire delco remy one wire conversions - and also a DR 3 wire conversion that will make an ammeter and indicator light in the charging circuit function normally. It has been discussed on HEF many times . I have done the 3 wire configured alternator myself. A Google image search will get you many well explained images for the and3 wire conversion.
1-Wire Industrial Alternators | DB Electrical Shop 1-Wire Industrial Alternators at DBElectrical. The best selection, low prices, fast shipping, and great customer service. www.dbelectrical.com
My machine does not have an ammeter installed like some do. I would just cut and cap the factory wires. I just need to know what internally regulated alternator to buy that will mount without having to modify the alternator bracket. Which one on the list?
You need to choose one with a pulley that matches the one it is replacing and, you may have to modify the way it mounts on your machine for correct alignment with the belt(s)