Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 610 wiring troubles….

Matt Baldwin ยท 2020-11-24 23:23

I just bought myself a bobcat 610 for pretty cheap, it's not running, but the engine will turn if I bypass the ignition switch straight to the starter solenoid, I replaced the ignition switch, but got some wiring mixed up (my friend who is "helping me" pulled off the stickers I used to label lol) I need to figure out if purple is start, or ground, and if it is start, what is ground? I am like 99.9% sure it is for the starter, cause when I hook the live cable for the ignition switch to it, the engine turns over, but I can't find out what wire is ground! If anyone has any idea than please help me!

Replies5
  1. #1lantraxco2020-11-25 00:43

    Well Matt, that machine is a genuine antique, Gawd help me I used to work on them 40 years ago, lol. As far as I know there is no ground connected to the key switch. Should be a positive wire from the battery, a switched positive going to the ignition coil, possibly through a ballast resistor (memory ain't that good) and the intermittent positive to engage the starter. Anything else you have there might be for lights or something. Pictures please if that isn't clear.

  2. #2Matt Baldwin2020-11-25 09:36

    Did some wiring work this morning and got her going!...but...there is no off lol, pulled the negative side of battery, but gonna need to figure that out lol

  3. #3Matt Baldwin2020-11-25 09:39

    Ya this thing is old lol, I appreciate the help man!

  4. #4Matt Baldwin2020-11-25 10:25

    I have a kill switch now! But I had to take the green wire off the ignition switch for it, green goes to the voltage regulator, any idea what it does anyone?

  5. #5lantraxco2020-11-25 13:56

    Sounds like it was running off the generator output. The key switch should have and ign terminal and acc terminal, try to identify the ignition coil wire and make sure it's on the ign terminal, and put the generator wire on the acc terminal, hopefully that will solve the problem. I'm just going off forty year old memories, so tread cautiously.