Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 709 backhoe Boom repair or replace?

sierradmax ยท 2012-05-20 17:51

I purchased a used bobcat backhoe attachment (709) that had two hairline cracks in the boom. They were on both sides of the mount where the arm cylinder attaches. To my stupidity, I neglected to repair and just recently, it reached its limit and is now out of commission. Should I have it straightened and have some additional plates welded or should I look into another one. I'm assuming these aren't cheap and may be a couple weeks out.

Replies3
  1. #1KSSS2012-05-20 20:45

    I would have it repaired. That does not look like an overly expensive repair for a competent wielding repair shop.

  2. #2willie592012-05-20 21:22

    I vote repair also. And I bet you can get new pin bosses from Bobcat. Have a competent welding shop cut out the damaged metal, fab new plates, weld in new pin bosses, apply some white paint and your good to go.

  3. #3sierradmax2012-05-21 12:34

    I called my dealer to price out a new one. $3600...! Looks like repairing it will certainly be cheaper.