Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 709 skid steer backhoe- need a smaller bucket for trench- options?

clydesdale6 ยท 2023-07-01 21:32

I would like to use my skid steer backhoe to dig a trench to install a bamboo root barrier. It has to be 2 feet deep. I am considering purchasing a smaller bucket for my 709 backhoe. Do I have to buy Bobcat brand or is the mounting system standard? From what I see, excavators seem to have a standard, but I am not sure if this type of backhoe uses a unique mounting system or could I buy an off brand. Suggestions? Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-07-02 02:24

    Talk with an aftermarket bucket manufacturer and compare the price to Bobcat or find a narrow bucket from a backhoe and modify it.

  2. #2Old Doug2023-07-02 08:00

    A lot of narrow buckets are very bad about stuff sticking in them. Good luck.

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-07-02 17:51

    Best to have more of a taper to them for easier dumping. A loose chain welded top and bottom can help with sticky/packed material.