Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 743 engine swap?

colson04 ยท 2018-09-01 18:13

I have a bobcat 743 with Kubota v1702 engine. Machine has 7500 hours and in good condition, except engine. It's always been a hard starting SOB since my dad bought it 20 years ago. I bought it from him 5 years ago. It hasn't ran in 2 years, and last it did it was only on 3 cylinders. I'm getting ready to drag it out and move it to my new place, hopefully this weekend. First plan is to get it running and try to sort out the dead miss. If I can't, there is a guy locally that has a V2203 DI for sale for a reasonable price. Has anyone swapped a 2203 in place of a 1702 before? I've found some posts elsewhere where guys say they've done it, but little to no other information was ever given. I am inclined to go this route because the 2203 DI engine starts incredibly better than the older 1702 IDI does. I won't swap a good running engine, but if this 1702 needs some work, then I'll be looking for something I can drop in.

Replies8
  1. #1Birken Vogt2018-09-01 18:25

    My grandfather had a succession of v1702 743 Bobcats and they always started just like they were warm if you gave them plenty of glow plug time. Not saying there are not other problems but if the engine does not start easy, it is probably a preheat problem I should think.

  2. #2colson042018-09-01 20:21

    The 1702 always ran good and was never weak when running. But getting it to start was always an adventure. I did replace all of the glow plugs and verified the glow plug circuit worked. It might be related to this current miss I've been dealing with, not sure though. I never did a compression test, though I probably should have given the hours on the machine

  3. #3kshansen2018-09-01 20:59

    Yes the V1702 in the Bobcat they had, well still there as of yesterday, at the quarry was cold blooded and needed glow plugs even in warmer weather but always seemed to run good.

  4. #4Birken Vogt2018-09-01 21:11

    Ours needed glow plugs whenever the engine was cold, no matter what the outside temperature, but no matter how cold it got, if you had held them on as long as the manual said, (30 or more seconds IIRC) it would start immediately and not miss, smoke, or shake, and Grandpa ran a couple of those machines until they were cracked and falling to pieces, and the engines were still as good as new, the way they ran.

  5. #5Bumpsteer2018-09-01 21:29

    Mine always needs the glowplugs on a cold start. Ed

  6. #6Birken Vogt2018-09-01 22:50

    Ford IDI diesels, and I think GM as well, were pretty much the same in behavior. If the glow plugs were working and you waited the right time they started right up with a very little puff and did not smoke much more than a haze after that. If they were not up to par they would not even begin to fire on a 100 degree day.

  7. #7willie592018-09-01 23:16

    Before you condemn the engine you should do a compression check. As mentioned by others, those engines just flat out will not start without glow plugs working proper. But once they get running they produce sufficient power for a 743. If compression checks good you could simply have some injectors or injection pump cartridges causing other running issues. I once worked on a 743 that didn't run worth a crap, found water in the injection pump and extended storage in this condition made havoc with the injection pump cartridges. Went through the injection pump components and the old beast came to life.

  8. #8PEVO2018-09-03 16:19

    i have a 743 with a very sick 1702 blown head gasket for sure and worn, stuck or broken rings. trying to start it pressurizes the radiator just cranking on it...while feeding it lots of either...lots of blowby, smokes like chimney. Going to pull it and take it to a reman shop Groveton tx. They said unhook it and leave everything attached...flywheel etc. ...and 2 weeks ish and $2500 later, a rebuilt engine with a 1 year warranty to boot...ready to slip back in. I asked about the v2203. A bit more HP but more fuel hog. and has to have parts swapped/modified to repower. This way going with rebuild..it will slip right in and your back in business licked-d-split!