Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 753 keeps blowing engine fuse!!

kamshaft ยท 2014-03-06 15:54

753 bobcat, every time I turn the key to run, it pops the engine fuse. I unplugged the alternator, and it started, but after I shut it off and tried to start it again, it popped the fuse again! Please help!

Replies6
  1. #1willie592014-03-06 20:09

    Welcome to HEF kamshaft. :drinkup Is your 753 a C, F, or G series machine? What's the machine serial number?

  2. #2kamshaft2014-03-10 16:08

    Thank you for replying. I am not sure the series. Serial # 512721420

  3. #3willie592014-03-10 19:26

    Ok, it's either a C or F series, the G series s/n started with 515 and 516. The C series has a two piece rear door, orange at the bottom with a black piece on the top of the rear door and rectangle headlights. The F series has a one piece stamped rear door, all orange, and rectangle headlights. The G series has triangle shaped headlights. I'll noodle through the drawings, but what I've viewed so far looks like the engine fuse (fuse 5) powers the red/white ignition wire through the ignition switch circuit, there's going to be a number of things feeding from that circuit. BTW, does it have the BOSS monitor system? The BOSS system has a display panel on the right side where ignition switch is located. Not the same thing as the BICS controller with the 4 LED lamps.

  4. #4Mobiltech2014-03-10 21:29

    Watch out for the electric fuel shutoff if it has one . I have seen them short out and blow the fuse on other bobcats. It should be down by the bottom right corner when you open the rear door.

  5. #5willie592014-03-10 21:46

    That's the most likely culprit I'm seeing on the wiring diagram since you have a rocker switch to activate glow plugs. I'd disconnect the harness from the fuel shutdown timer module, then turn on ignition and see if it still blows F5.

  6. #6kamshaft2014-04-03 16:25

    Ok, sorry it's been so long, I did replace the fuel shut off solenoid before I posted the question. I thought it was the alternator, because I could unplug it, and it wouldn't blow the fuse, but then I would plug it back in, and it wouldn't immediately blow the fuse. In fact sometimes it would blow abruptly later in the week upon loading someone. So I replaced the alternator and it ran great for a few days. Yesterday it blew the fuse while running again, and I tried unplugging the alternator again, it ran for a few seconds and blew it, and continued to blow it when turning the key. I put in a fuse this morning, and it popped it again upon turning the key, so I plugged the alternator back in, put in another fuse, and it started and ran good for 10 minutes and blew it again.