Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 773 Blowing Smoke and Oil

Andy Martin ยท 2016-09-27 14:03

Hi. I have a Bobcat 773 with Kubota engine and 2500 hrs. A few days ago I noticed the engine gurgling after shutdown and the temperature gauge was slightly above the operating range. Sure enough it was low on antifreeze. I filled the radiator and replaced the air filter (it was embarrassingly dirty). Upon restart it seemed to be fine so I hooked up my brush hog yesterday and drove a 1/4 mile to mow. I was watching the temperature gauge and it was hot but still in the operating range. Then the engine started smoking and smelling and I drove it back to the house. It was really smoking when I got home and temperature was into the hot range but not pegged. When I started it this morning it smoked profusely and was blowing oil. I'm assuming it can be broken rings but maybe just a blown head gasket. Can the head be pulled without pulling the engine or should I just pull the engine out? Or is there a potentially smaller problem I should look for first?

Replies16
  1. #1thepumpguysc2016-09-27 16:36

    Remove the rad cap while running.. bubbles mean compression in cooling system.. WHITE SMOKE?? Does it smell sweet like antifreeze.. Could be a head gasket, could be a cracked head.. How about a stuck closed thermostat..

  2. #2crewchief8882016-09-27 17:39

    most of the kubotas ive worked on never bother to blow a head gasket when they get hot... they go right to cracking the head.... :drinkup

  3. #3Andy Martin2016-09-27 19:57

    OK, thanks, guys. My plan is to pull the head in the tractor as the engine had such good compression I'm expecting the cylinders to look good. Any comments?

  4. #4BSM7732016-09-28 07:27

    When you get the head off, lay a straight edge on the surface of the head and make sure it is not warped. Mine warped years ago so I took it to a machine shop and resurfaced it, been working fine for prolly 10 years now.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2016-09-28 07:51

    Let us know what you find.. I might be able to put you intouch w/ somebody if you need a head.

  6. #6Andy Martin2016-09-29 17:17

    Got the head off my 773. It is obviously cracked between the injector chamber and the inlet valve in cylinder two and three.

  7. #7crewchief8882016-09-29 17:56

    thats typically where they crack.... :drinkup

  8. #8Andy Martin2016-09-29 19:33

    I'm also seeing a mark I can't feel in cylinder two. Possibly a broken ring? It would only have had less than an hour if I have a ring broken.

  9. #9lantraxco2016-09-29 19:37

    Just damn.... :Banghead

  10. #10Andy Martin2016-09-30 08:31

    I'm looking for a head

  11. #11crewchief8882016-09-30 19:44

    ive seen them is worse shape that still ran.... :drinkup

  12. #12Andy Martin2016-09-30 20:16

    Thanks for your sage advice! I thought to check #1 and #4 (no head cracks) and found the same scoring. Again I couldn't feel the marks, so it's just going to get a new head. Thanks again!

  13. #13Andy Martin2016-10-03 08:03

    Any advice on installing the head gasket. I have a service manual but it does not mention coating the gasket with anything. I have the torque, pattern, and repeat after hot. Thanks, Andy

  14. #14thepumpguysc2016-10-03 09:10

    check your in-box.. good luck

  15. #15crewchief8882016-10-03 17:23

    head gasket goes on dry. i typically dont re-torque after a heat cycle, just go 5 ft/lb over. run your torque pattern, wait 5 or 10 minutes, then re-torque, if any of the bolts take torque, ( the center bolts typically will) repeat the process until you get a consistent "no torque" :drinkup

  16. #16Andy Martin2016-10-04 06:52

    Thanks CC888! One more question. Is there any reason to stay with propylene glycol coolant?