Hello, I have a 1999 bobcat 864 track loader, I got stuck and sunk in 4 feet deep in water and had to run it for 20-30 minutes under water to get it out with a excavator. After getting it out, it died. I drained oil and it took 6 hours to drain, looked like sludge, 3 oil changes later and mosty of the water is out but oil still silver. I change the fuel filter and both air filters. Now it starts easy, runs good with very little blow by, you can throttle full when sitting and runs fine. When you take off under load it wants to loose power and die out and is shooting huge cloud of black smoke the whole time, come back to stop and runs fine. I have run without air filter and the same so that is not the problem. I found this part pictured below that is at the end of the throttle and looks to be missing the connection between these two parts, if you turn the left lever to the right at idle it will kill the motor off. I do not know the problem and am desperate to fix. It is a duets motor. Thanks for any and all help.
If you had it in 4 ft of water, better keep draining the valve on bottom of fuel filter to drain water from filter, you may have a good bit of water in your fuel tank. Oh, and keep draining/chainging the oil until it's clean. Oil and filters are cheaper than a new engine. That lever that you show in pic is the manual fuel shut off on a Deutz engine. It's not being used on your engine because it's fitted with electric solenoid fuel shut off. Therefore, no links are missing on your engine. Your running problem, hmm, not sure. Runs/idles fine. Runs fine at no load full throttle. Problem full throttle under driving load. Power drops, black smoke. Black smoke is typically, but not always, not enough air to burn the injected fuel. The first thing I'd do is take the intake piping off at turbo and make sure turbo is operating.
did you change the hyd oil also and there should be a drain under the machine to drain the fuel out i dont know the exact location at those because the fuel tanks are further up in the machine than on any other bobcat they have a plate under the motor 2 ft by 3 1/2 or so pull it down and look forward you should see the fuel tank look for a drain and drain your tank to for water. it may be that you have water in the hyd and it doesn't want to turn the drive motors as well with the water in the oil. also you may have done damage to the engine getting water in it and running it.
I am looking at an 864 machine that has a leaking drive motor. As an auto and boat mechanic of 20 years, what deree of dificulty is it for me to rebuild or reseal tis drive?
Welcome to the forum doming010. :usa Leaking drive motor? Is it leaking externally? Or is it leaking inside the chain case?
Well, thanks for welcoming me. I haven't driven out to look at the machine honestly. The fellow told me that one of the drive units needed replacing because it was leaking. I assumed an external leak but I didn't verify if it lost drive on one side or if it was leaking externally. I think it was leaking externally as per his and my conversation. I have my own repair shop with my own machine shop inside my shop so I immediately felt like I could fix it for a fraction of the $2000-$2500 drive unit. I'd like to remove and rebuild and reseal the drive unit. Is this possible? How much am I looking at in parts? If I buy the machine, I plan to purchase a service manual. I am sure that I have all the tools and equipment in my shop to fix it if it is fixable. What do you recommend for both a reseal and rebuild? Thanks for your responce.
Rebuild depends on drive motor. Not certain about machine mentioned, but a number of older Bobcat machines have motors that have been updated to different motors and old motors are obsolete, many of these units parts are not available. You'd just have to do some research on this particular unit to determine if this is the case. Hope that helps.
It's a 2000 model. How often do the parts become obsolete?
I saw rebuilt units for sale online. I understand that I would have to check and see if the parts were available. Any opinion on what I could expect to spend on a rebuild kit for a drive unit on this 2000 864 rubber track machine if the parts are available?
864 bobcat black smoke try checking the lift pump screen it has one screw and the top of the pump will come off and there is a filter there. that might be youre problem.
Can't help you on numbers, haven't done an 864 before.
Those drive motors are all made by vendors as are the hydraulic pumps etc.. Even if the parts are not available from Bobcat they are probably still available from the MFR. Case in point; the hydraulic fan motor went out on my K series A300. The Bobcat dealer said that the unit was not rebuildable and that I had to buy a new one. It was during a storm event and I had to get that machine going again so I went with the new motor ($700!). When I had time I took the old motor to a hydraulic repair shop. They had it repaired, in (2) days, for a cost of $129.00. I now have a spare. I would possibly check with a hydraulic repair facility for the parts if they are not available at the dealer. It may be cheaper anyway. I know that you said that you are a mechanic and it sounds as though you want to make the repair yourself. IMO it would be better to get that unit repaired by a hydraulic shop (vs buying a new one if you can't find the parts). I doubt it would be very expensive if you are only replacing seals. They would probably be better able to recognize other issues that the unit might have before it was re-assembled and re-installed. They also should have a test bench to ensure repair and function before it is re-installed. You could still save the lions share of the repair bill by doing the R&R yourself. Good luck.
Might want to check the turbo, see if it is blowing oil into the charge air tube(not sure of your arrangement), sounds like thats your problem.