Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 864 left hand control problem

larryb ยท 2011-02-27 17:07

I have a 2004 864 bobcat. the error code came up regarding the lift control. When I engage the hydraulics for up it works when turn left handle control down to drop bucket the hydraulics kick out. The bobcat dealer has ruled out it is not the actuator, says it is probably the left hand controller, also states the controller is not available any more, I would have to upgrade my controls. Does any one know if this is true or where I can find a left hand control module to replace mine. larryb

Replies3
  1. #1CM19952011-02-27 19:50

    Welcome to the Forums larryb! It takes 3 posts before a new member can start a thread in order to keep the spammers out. I saw your first post in another thread and moved it to it's own thread, hopefully our knowledgeable members can help you out. Good luck!

  2. #2CRAFT2011-02-28 23:14

    Oh Boy! .... here we go again .... boy have I heard this one before ..... Get a second and third if need be opinion from a good dealer or BC tech ... same crap different place Its as if the BC dearlers a pre-programed (like a frontal labotamy) to give you a Bs story so you are more confused than before you started ... to con you into bringing the machine to them to rack up a juicey one. If it is the joy stick it would be as simple as maybe a broken wire (common in excavators) assuming that yours is the SJC system... take a continuity tester and check that all wires are good, even when you wiggle them .... the plug-in for the joy stick should be located by your left foot kick panel (if your machine was a more deluxe model it may be covered with sound proofing insulated matt) or right behind the tube that the stick is mounted to, but you'll have lift the cab (which is easy) to see it .... I am having a hard time beleaving that a 2004 machine can have obsolete parts already ..... where will that put me in a couple of years with a 2007 ... go figure ? If you say there was an error code what were the numbers that came up, usually it is more specific The reason I stated "here we go again " is, I had the "Dog & Pony show" from my dealer over a simular matter, when I lifted my boom up it would stop lifting beep,beep, beep and flash the error codes (2)of them, and then shut down the machine ..... they put me thru the hoops for a couple of days with their indirect answers and I own the complete shop manual .... I Live over 125 miles (one way) from the nearest dealer and feel (as I am a mechanic as well) that I should not have to transport to watch a head and b*ll scratching ceramony to re & re parts ..... As it turned out it was the linear actuator, I had to transport it there, it must be a common problem, they had 6 in stock, when those things are re-installed they have to computer program it to stroke properly All in all it turned out Ok... 1.5hr labor, which was more than fair, and I also got a total re-flash of the current needed updates ..... but as I am not a newbie to repairs or repairing I felt that I did not need the song and dance for free ! Good-Luck ! ....... hope its a simple one

  3. #3brian p2011-03-05 14:02

    I just got parts diagram sent over from Bobcat for a 763 I'm working on.. the part number superceeds and refers to a TSB, the tsb will tell you what extra parts need to be ordered in order to install the new actuator to your machine. Usually there is a wiring adapter and maybe a different mounting block. Best thing I have found is rather than using the parts manual, give them the Bobcat number right off of your joystick. We had two wrong ones come in ordering right out of the parts book, and also providing the serial and having bobcat do it... We got the right one after we pulled it apart and gave them the number right off of it,