Basically like the title states. 2000 Bobcat 864 turbo One day I was using the loader for a good couple of hours with no issues until one of the hydralic lines popped off the grapple i was using and sprayed oil everywhere. The machine stood in the same position for maybe 2 hours until I fixed the hydraulic line. I then proceeded to start it back up which after a couple turn overs it finally started. I ran it for maybe 15-25 min and the motor was running very hot. eventually the machine shut its self off. I let it cool down for a while then tried starting it back up. It took awhile but finally got it started but with lots of black smoke puffing out the exhaust. I let it sit awhile again and this time it wouldnt start back up and every time it turned over puffs of black smoke out of the muffler. I changed the glow plugs and oil then it was working fine with almost no smoke for about a half hour and then shut its self off again. Now it seems as if it will run for maybe 30min then gets very hot (while blowing dark smoke the whole time) and finally shuts its self off. It seems to be losing quite a bit of oil as well. Please help me here!!
Could the air cleaner be plugged with oil/ dirt? Is that a deutz oil cooled engine?
Yes it is a deutz oil cooled engine. As far as the air cleaner, are you talking about the intake filter? If so, ive removed it while trying to start it too. No progress.
Does it seem like there's more load on the hydraulics? Where's the oil going, can you see any leaks, or is the exhaust pipe coated with oil on the inside? How's the blowby look? Sorry for so many questions. This one doesn't make sense to me.
I would check the turbo, when the hose blew you probly shut it right down, turbo might be stuck. How many hours on it. Or maybe auxiliary hyd on.
What is the best way to check if the turbo is not working?
I'm thinking it sounds a bit like the timing belt may have jumped a tooth somewhere... Have you had the timing belt worked on or replaced recently? If I'm not mistaken they should be changed every 1000 hrs or 1 year, but I'm not 100% sure...
Does this unit have an inner cooler? If it does check for a busted hose or a crack in the piping.
BEFORE STARTING ENGINE Remove the rubber boot from the turbo and reach in and see if you can spin the wheel.. should make at least 1/2 revolution with just a flick of your finger.. IF IT DOES.. leave the boot off.. MAKE SURE the surrounding area of the turbo is clean.. ITS GONNA SUCK ALOT OF AIR.. and start the motor.. Hows the smoke..?? If its clean.. shut it down and pop the boot back on.. hows the smoke?? if its black again, your problem lies in your air supply TO THE TURBO. Good luck
How many hours? They have a timing belt that needs replaced religiously. Is it low on oil. I'm thinking they hold something like 18 quarts and you change 10 or so at oil changes. They also have a problem with number cylinder going bad. Blow by? If it sprayed oil it might have gotten on the belt driving the fan and it's slipping. It's been years since I've worked on one of them. 863's were one of my favorite machines I've owned. Lot better than the s220 I have now.