Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat chain case drain plug…what gives?

Wanabe ยท 2010-12-29 15:00

How do I get this plug out...it has a round head on top of a rubber grommet. Any suggestions

Replies13
  1. #1JeremiahSr2010-12-29 15:06

    I wonder if its a standard plug that has been twisted off. Will the sealing grommet pop off and see if there is threads there? Threads must be seized. If that is the case you have to drill and eay-out it. Hopefully someone has run into that before and give you a better suggestion.

  2. #2Wanabe2010-12-29 15:50

    I don't think it has ever been messed with...this machine only has 1054 hrs...Bobcat says to change every 1000 hrs ...the scraping you see was me looking for a bolt head.

  3. #3Wanabe2010-12-29 17:47

    Got it !! Looks like chocolate milk...drained it then ran some diesel through it, I'll let it sit over night then run a couple quarts of fresh fluid through then plug it back up.

  4. #4JeremiahSr2010-12-29 18:42

    So it just pops in and the rubber grommet is only thing holding it in place. If the grommet wears out and plug falls out, you will spot the oil on the ground, but how many operators that don't own the equipment would keep running it and say nothing? Them chains and sprockets will be worthless in no time!

  5. #5BDFT2010-12-29 20:34

    Actually, all you have to do is pull out the metal plug about 1/4 inch and then remove the rubber grommet. the plug causes the grommet to expand and seal the hole when its pushed all the way in. Its been my experience that those stupid plugs never seal properly after they have been put back in. You may have to buy a new one. Not exactly one of Bobcat's better ideas.

  6. #6Wanabe2010-12-29 20:40

    Yeah, it seems to be a weak point...going to try and get a new one tomorrow.

  7. #7willie592010-12-29 21:01

    I have to ask, how did all that water get into the chain case and mix with the oil. Destructive to bearings.

  8. #8Wanabe2010-12-30 09:33

    I was hoping someone could tell me.

  9. #9willie592010-12-30 19:48

    Could be water ingress from the outer hub seals if someone has been using the machine in water. If it's an open cab machine, most likely one of the three top chain case covers, bad gasket or loose bolts. I have no idea why "open" appears twice, only shows once when I try to edit. Ok, took "open" out on edit, it was gone. Drat! Type "open" back in once in edit...appears twice again! LMAO!

  10. #10Wanabe2010-12-30 22:15

    That may be the case...I really washed it down good when I first got it. I'll check those covers. Maybe that and 10 years of condesation.

  11. #11Lil' Puss2010-12-30 23:49

    I'd want to get as much of the moisture out of there as possible, maybe run some Seafoam and then change the oil again. Emulsified oil is not a good lubricant. Check to see if the vents are plugged.

  12. #121080 bobcat2010-12-31 00:15

    my experince with this problem is the chain cover arent sealed the best in the world the case needs machined better

  13. #13Wanabe2010-12-31 15:46

    Here's where I think alot of the moisture came from...the last owner kept it in a shed. It's in my shop and with the storm thats coming everything is wet. Ten years of this may be enough to milk-up the oil. I did check the cover bolts and some were a little loose. I'll keep an eye on it and will probably change it again soon. I cleaned it out pretty good...with a light at the drain I could see through the compartment. I used a piece of tubing and compressed air and diesel fuel and removed all of the old oil. Thanks for all the input.