Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat E32 hard start

UpNorth Mini Excavating ยท 2020-03-11 19:40

Hey everyone, so I have a Bobcat E32 mini excavator that starts hard. Im not sure what is wrong with it. Battery is almost new. It cranks really low when it first starts turning like the battery is almost dead and after 7 or 8 cranks it fires up. Now if I put a battery charger on it and crank it will crank faster but still take 7 or 8 cranks before starting. Anyone have any ideas? Now it seems like after I start it the first time, then it fires within a few cranks. I have a bobcat 325G that starts alot better than this E32. thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Clguest2020-03-11 20:02

    What year is the excavator? How many hours does it have? Are you allowing the preheater to work before you crank the engine?

  2. #2UpNorth Mini Excavating2020-03-11 20:41

    2013 with 2200 hours. Yes the preheater is counting down.

  3. #3uffex2020-03-12 02:36

    Good day Suggest get the injectors checked out, they can result in a hard start only show up with a initial burst of smoke. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4Bls repair2020-03-13 19:50

    What kind of shape is the starter in?

  5. #5bobcat12020-03-13 20:51

    Keyless ignition ?

  6. #6UpNorth Mini Excavating2020-03-21 05:39

    So here is what I did. I went ahead and checked all of my grounds(or so i thought) and replaced my alternator and it was bad. I removed the starter and found there was another ground under the starter that gies to the frame. The connection from the wire to the connector was lose. I installed another connector and will see if that helps once I get finished repacking my cylinders. The starter seems to be in good condition and no it has a keyed ignition. My next step will be taking a look at the injectors if this doesnt work. Thanks

  7. #7UpNorth Mini Excavating2020-03-27 04:14

    **Update** So after looking around I noticed that I had to much resistance on the ground side with my ohmmeter. I decided to remove the starter and that is where I found the problem. There is a ground that goes from the starter to the counterweight and I noticed the ground wire was very lose in the connector. I installed another connector and put everything back together and it now starts like a champ. Thanks for all the info.