Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat E80 bucket sizing

watglen · 2014-08-25 20:32

Ill try to keep this short. I have a 2013 Bobcat E80 - 900 hrs. Works well, but in hard clay it has a tough time making production with a 30" smoothedge. Recommendation was swap out the smoothedge for a 24" spade teeth bucket and try it. So I rented the 24" to try, and they send me this little bucket that is 6" narrower, and at least a foot smaller in height. I called the dealer asking how I'm supposed to make production with this little teaspoon bucket. They said that its the right one for the machine. In my mind I was expecting a bucket of similar height to the 30" I have, but just a little narrower. Thoughts? I need to get more hard clay moved with this machine. I am digging around utilities and drain tile...which is why I like the smoothy.

Replies6
  1. #1Anthonycecil2014-08-25 20:49

    Probably something they have on hand and want to sell….Tony

  2. #2lumberjack2014-08-25 21:12

    You need a toothed bucket. In all but the hardest clay here, my KX057 (5.5 ton class) can pull a 24" toothed bucket easily. A couple weekends ago I was digging for a septic line, and the clay was stupendously hard. The digging was hard enough that the corner teeth were warm to the touch. No rock in the clay either. Your 8 ton should be able to handle a 30" toothed bucket in normal clay around here.

  3. #3watglen2014-08-25 21:28

    lumberjack, can you give me an idea of what capacity bucket is appropriate? Height and depth? The capacity is not listed on the tag.

  4. #4lumberjack2014-08-25 21:34

    The tip length should be the same on most tooth buckets to properly interface with the thumb (which you may or may not have). I don't know the measurements for your specific machine. I do know that my 24" bucket holds 6.5 cu ft, the 36" holds 8.5 cu ft.

  5. #5Colorado Digger2014-08-29 18:22

    Try a 28" with tiger teeth, if not, run a ripper. You have a hydro-quik-coupler so that wouldn't be a big deal. I run a 28" on our 55 and it does fine. Regards, CD

  6. #6bigsmoke2014-09-01 19:52

    The E60 - E85 excavators use werk brau buckets, try to find a dealer who can accomodate, or buy a second 30" and weld on shanks. Sean