Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat engine ticking noise

kbeen ยท 2013-02-06 21:35

Hello, i put a new/ reman engine in my friends 763 bobcat several months ago. it is an older machine. he bought the engine from a bobcat dealer. he has approx. 30 hrs on it and it is making a upper end ticking noise. sounds like the valves to me. it is the 4 cylinder kubota engine. i think it was making this same noise when i put the engine in, maybe now just a little more noticeable. i pulled the valve cover and checked and re-adjusted the valves to .008 clearance. still has same ticking. is this just normal with the kubota engines. i am not familiar with the bobcat engines, we only have cat skid steers. any input will be appreciated. thank you.

Replies8
  1. #12772013-02-07 14:17

    My Bobcat 331 always had slight valve train noise. It did from the day I bought it (used), till the day I sold it. If I remember correctly my neighbors Bobcat 773 does also.

  2. #2kbeen2013-02-07 14:25

    Thank you 277 for your info.

  3. #32772013-02-07 14:29

    Welcome. Normal or not, I'm not sure. I never had any engine problems with mine. Good luck,

  4. #4Swamp rat2013-02-07 19:53

    I replaced the motor on my t 190 about 3 months ago - the only thing we heard when it was started in the morning was a loud ticking sound. Once i got it down i found that the valve set had come out and was sitting on top of # 2 piston , was not a good site. Ended up putting a reman from Bobcat back in it.

  5. #5Bobcatdan2013-02-07 20:51

    Without hearing it, I'm going to lean towards normal. Kubota's tend to clatter a bit, like most small diesels.

  6. #6kbeen2013-02-07 21:59

    swamp rat i agree that would not be a good site at all. thank you for your reply.

  7. #7kbeen2013-02-07 22:02

    bobcatdan i appreciate your input. i am going to cut open the engine oil filter tomorrow and if it is clean i think he will just run it and see what happens. thanks for your reply.

  8. #8crewchief8882013-02-09 09:15

    especially the non turbo engines :drinkup