Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat For Hire Startup

bobcat303 ยท 2006-01-01 22:47

Hey, guys...I am thinking of purchasing a Bocat T-190 for my own personal use. However, as an added means of income and cash flow, I was thinking about using the machine to do jobs for the big boy excavators, electricians and plumbers and general contractors in my area. Hoping to reach them, is it a good idea to send them all a letter explaining my services offered (concrete breaker attachment and backhoe, trencher, stump grinder) and my rates. Is this is a good way to get the word out?

Replies5
  1. #1bobcat3032006-01-02 07:21

    Please help I would appreciate any responses...need some help / advice!

  2. #2Squizzy246B2006-01-02 07:31

    I introduce myself personally whenever I can, and follow up with a letter of introduction. Business cards help, the local newspapers are cheap to advertise in and work for me. Word of mouth is important when you start out. Treat every customer like they have two referrals for you. If you do 10 smalls jobs around town and get one referral then you are on the way cause the longer you work the more your good name follows. If people don't know of your service they aint going to call. I hate flyers and the research says they are generally not good for the trades and services industry. (People think it is cheap and nasty) If you can leave your cards at the local landscape supplier that is good.

  3. #3Ford LT-90002006-01-02 16:41

    Word of mouth is the biggest advertising you can do and a reputation that you do good work. You can do all the advertising in the world but you still won't get any work if you have unhappy customers the word spreads fast especially if you live in a smaller area. Experience is another thing how much do you have with a skid steer ? Start with the smaller jobs like carting material around or graveling driveways then start doing other bigger jobs like building driveways etc. For the contractors you want to work for approach them personally so they know who you are and tell them what you can provide them. Good Luck

  4. #4bobcat3032006-01-02 22:09

    Thanks for the tip! Thanks! I think I wil take that advice and intorduce myself personally to some contractors in the area!

  5. #5CascadeScaper2006-01-02 23:46

    I'll say basically the same thing as everyone else, word of mouth is the best form of advertisement. When working with contractors, time is money and they like to see that you realize that. If you can bust your butt to be there for them in a pinch, most of them appreciate that and might switch over from their "usual guy" to you instead. It's all about making an impression and the first one is a great place to start.