I have recently purchased a used bobcat 773. When I brought it home I noticed a small fuel leak. After putting around 50hrs on it the leak has gotten worse. It leaks off and while running. When filling the machine at a pump diesel spewed everywhere. I brought it home lifted the cab and noticed the over flow tube on the top of the fuel tank to the machine was disconnected. I hooked it back up. I don't think I solved the problem because I'm still seeing a slow drip. Not sure if it's because there's a ton of diesel sitting inside the machine and along the bottom pan. Ive checked every connection and tried to dry as much out from the bottom of the machine. Times my enemy I have a ton of driveways to pave and can't bring this machine until it's resolved. Does anyone know here if they think that diesel would be coming out of that open overflow port??? Would fuel be exiting the tank at the top like that while operating? Gravity would say that's not possible but is it because the tank is pressurized?? Please help. I'm worried the tank is also cracked and that's an animal I really don't want to tackle! Thanks
Welcome to HEF Alexo428. :drinkup Yes, that vent tube disconnected could have spilled quite a bit of fuel into the belly of the machine prior to the moment you discovered and repaired it. And what you may be seeing is residual diesel dripping from the machine. If it's like most Bobcat machines, there's likely a lot of gunk in the belly of that thing and that stuff can be like a big sponge. If you don't mind spending a little coin, I'd take the machine to Bobcat, or any equipment dealer, and have them give the innards a thorough pressure washing. Yes, it would cost you a little money to have this done, but you would then be able to determine if your fuel leak is fixed, and the belly would be far cleaner and would help you in maintaining the machine and checking for other hydraulic leaks that might arise that you need to stay on top of.