I've been looking for a decent pre-emissions skid loader, after 6 months and about two dozen missed approaches an '05 Bobcat A300 with about 600 hours/one owner came up for sale (owner traded for a new A770). I've run older Bobcats in the past, 90s models, '53s' and '73s' with hand/foot controls, recent 15 years has been all Cats with pilots. I've read several forum posts here and there indicating Bobcat had problems with their joysticks early on, not so much now. Does anyone recall what years (or serial number strings) and models suffered joystick failure? Replacements are pricey but easy enough to install, and then I expect there is a calibration process. But if this one falls into the problem range then I'm going to bargain the price, even with the low hours. Thanks much -
an '05 should have the "better" joysticks, early joysticks had a round base, the later ones will have a square base. bobcats control system is electric over hyd, theres a lot of extra plumbing and electrical in a SJC or AWS machine. personally, i wouldnt want one... it's your choice
Chief is correct about the square vs. round but I bought a brand new '06 A300 that had the early version joysticks (round base). My dealer did end up replacing them under warranty.
This one did wind up with the round bases, put several hundred hours on this year with no difficulties. They aren't real responsive, but as long as they keep running I can live with that. If the all-wheel steer remains reliable, that comes in really handy for in a number of situations, at this point I'd be reluctant to give it up.
What's the difference? Responsiveness? My '04 A300 has round bases.
the old handle controller wasnt sealed, (electronics wise), as well as the newer handles.