Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat m-970?

irwin ยท 2009-01-17 18:41

I've been doing a lot of looking and thinking.. about getting an affordable Skid Steer. Not sure if I should go with something tiny like a 453 (to help keep the stables cleaned out) ...or if I should get something big and powerful to work with my small TLB (Kubota L35) I'm leaning toward big..I'd love to be able to lift 2500 or more pounds ..I got some boulders to move, but they just laugh at the L35, I had to push them aside for the time being. I'm clearing a couple acres, we want to expand the horse pasture, I'm not in a hurry, but the wife would like it done sooner than later.:beatsme After that's done I want to make roads through the woods.. for horseback, and for ATV access. There's a Bobcat m-970 for sale nearby, it's got minor issues, a leaking ram and a leaking oil line..tires are good, engine sounds nice, a little play in pins/bushing, but not terrible...I looked up the specs here* http://www.bobcat.com/historical_specs/skid_steer/m970_1970 ..how long were they made? (it's only listed in 1970 on the Bobcat site) could it be newer? Are there any known problems? or am I nuts considering something this old?

Replies4
  1. #1shane2009-01-17 18:56

    If you want a 2500 or 3000 lb machine, go with something newer, IMO. That machine will eat you alive in repair and maintenance bills and headaches.

  2. #2Dwan Hall2009-01-17 19:00

    Check the hydrostatic drive to see if they need work before you buy. Run the machine up against something solid and see if the tires spin or the machine bogs down and stalls when trying to move an immovable object. Parts are still available through bobcat but expensive. The M-970 was only available during the 70s it was replaced with the 974/975 series which I have 3. They have been great machines and needed little maintenance. A used M-970 should not run over $5000. I wish Bobcat would start making the large machines again as I would like to buy a new one.

  3. #3irwin2009-01-18 09:30

    Thanks for the tip about the hydro drive Dwan...mmmm, I'm getting too old to mess with old iron..but, I hate making payments. Don't mind a good project..IF I had the time for one. ointhead

  4. #4bahmi92009-01-28 07:47

    Bobcat M970 There's a fair priced 853 up at the Springfield Bobcat dealership on Riverdale road, just past the Ct. River on a right exit to 5N. May be all you need, price 8500, probably can dicker lower.