Hello guys, I'm going to go look at a Bobcat M500 tomorrow... Has anybody here got any experience with one of these? What should I look out for? I'm pretty familiar with the Hydrostatic drive skid steers but not so much a clutch driven unit although I did have a Case 1740 some years ago... I'll take some pictures when I go look at it tomorrow. Thanks, Toby
Generally you can figure out a lot just by running a machine. The old clutch drive system is inferior to the hydrostatic drive when it comes to power, and versatility. If you try to make a tight turn on pavement it will stall out unless you set the speed lever as low as it can go and the throttle high. However it is much quieter and the controls engage harder than hydrostatic so some operators get jumpy motion. Old Bobcats generally have a Wisconsin air cooled engine, and a variable belt drive transmission. Look for fluid leaks, rubber particles and noisy bearings. On a non-running machine it's a matter of luck sometimes as to condition. An M500 would not have much protection for the operator either. It's more of a collector's item than a machine for regular use now.
Thanks for the tips Tallrick! I went and bought it today! It's in pretty good shape overall, everything worked good and it made no funny noises or anything. The clutches are strong, it will turn right around on pavement! He also had a spare hydraulic pump that he threw in with the deal. The only 2 things that bothers me is that it doesn't have a cab/cage on it, something that I'm gonna fix ASAP... The other is the bucket is too big for it, but that's an easy fix too. Here's some pictures of the new toy!!!
Be EXTREMELY careful when you raise the boom with material in the bucket that you level the bucket as you raise the boom or you will have whatever is in your bucket in your lap.
You bet Steve, been there done that many times over the past 20 years...
Looks good, and seems to run well. That looks like a machine used for moving hay or manure, and/or snow, thus the big bucket. No quick attach on that machine, like on the later 600 and 610 models. I always say that the older Bobcats are the perfect machine for replacing a small tractor or for those of you who have seasons, a snowblower. You can adapt more protection for the machine if you really need it.
I have an M500 that I really like. It is perfect for the small projects that pop up occasionally. I would like to know if there are any spare parts available on the market? I need to do some major maintenance on mine and I think some of the drive parts need replacing. My local Bobcat dealer says that their distribution network does not support units this old.
Turns out mine's not actually an M500, it's an M444 that somebody transplanted a Kohler engine into... Not that that really matters, it works great. I used it for about 4 hours 2 weekends ago and it ran great! I called my local dealer for an operator's cage for it, he says they have not one, not two, but seven!!! available, they'd have to order one in but they could get it... Of course, they wanted more for it than what I paid for the machine so I'm just gonna build my own. The dealer also told me that they can still get most parts for it... In fact, somebody re-did my driveline with clutches and such not toooo long before I bought it... Here's some pictures I took of it while I was playing with it. I really like it!
Nice Melroe I have that exact machine. Did a repower last year with a Vanguard 18HP. Runs like a top. This old equipment is great. I have a youtube video on my repower just search "Melroe Bobcat repower." Hope she's still runnin'
Thanks Glenn, I have no idea how the old girl is doing, we parted ways about 4 years ago now, then I saw it for sale again a few months later... Ad said the job it was bought for was done and they didn't need it anymore... It was a great little unit, but too small for what I was doing, and having a 732 and an 873 around made it the logical choice to turn into a down payment for a much needed truck... I'd buy another if it came up for a good price just for the nostalgia and fun that I had with that thing! I think I saw your videos, did you have them posted on the skid steer forum website? If that's yours, it sure looks like it worked out very well for you!