Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat Rubber Grip Replacement

TCat ยท 2015-04-28 14:31

I searched and could not find any threads on this. I bought replacement grips for the sticks on my 2001 Bobcat 763 (yes I know I'm anal) a while back and would like to put them on. Unfortunately Bobcat puts electrical connectors on the bottom of the sticks that are too big to go through the grips and according to my local dealer have to be removed in order to get the grips on. Does anyone have any pics of what the wires/pins looks like as they come out of the connectors at the bottom of the sticks? Does it take a special tool to remove the wires/pins from the connectors? Thanks. Tim

Replies8
  1. #1willie592015-04-28 19:42

    2001 763. Could be an F series or could be a G series, the G series came out right around that time. Does it have rectangle shaped headlights or triangle shape? I suppose we are talking about a standard control 763, not Advanced Hand Controls (AHC)?

  2. #2Part sman2015-04-28 19:47

    Google "Metri-pack terminals". They do make a tool to remove, but can be done with "modified" paper clip.

  3. #3TCat2015-04-30 16:07

    It has the triangle front lights. That's "G" series if I remember correctly, but I could be wrong. As far as advanced hand controls, there are a bunch of switches on the top of each stick which can be used to control the functions of attachments hooked up to the aux hydraulics and so on. I don't know if that means that they are advanced hand controls or not. I can post a picture of the tops of the sticks if needed. Thanks

  4. #4willie592015-04-30 21:55

    Yes, triangle headlights is a G series machine. It sounds like you have standard controls, drive levers control drive and the buttons/switches control attachments, foot pedals for lift/tilt functions. Advanced Hand Control machines allow you to control lift/tilt with drive levers as well. I thought I had some pics on my computer of those connecters you need to take apart, alas, I can't find them. It's not hard to pull the wires/pins out of those connectors, you first have to remove the retainer clip where the wires enter the connector. The where the connector plugs into its mate, there's a plastic wedge that you pluck out. Then, if you can see real good, if not, take a magnifying glass, you'll see the tabs inside the connector that holds the pins in the connector. All it takes is a very small screwdriver or pick, push the lock tab down, which releases the pin, and pull the pin/wire out of the backside of the connector. Make you a diagram of which wire goes into the connector before you pull it apart. Once you get the wires out of the connector, pull the control knob off of the handle pulling the wiring harness out with it. Slice the old grips off with a razor blade. I install the new grips with a long air nozzle and compressed air, an old motorcycle grip trick I learned a long time ago.

  5. #5sideeffect1122015-05-01 03:25

    great work! http://www.australia001.com

  6. #6sideeffect1122015-05-01 03:36

    :cry. http://www.australia001.com/

  7. #7TCat2015-05-02 05:34

    Thanks for the help guys. "Then, if you can see real good" willie59 that may be half of the problem, I really need to get a set of reading glasses and put them in my shop. Anyway, the kind of connector you described is exactly correct, I took that little retaining clip off of the back of the connector, but then I couldn't see any release for the pins on either the front or the back of the pins, and I didn't want to ruin the connector, so I figured I'd just stop before I messed it up. I thought about just cutting the wires and soldering them back together with heat shrink, but that just seems like butchery when I knew there was a correct way. Magnifying glass and reading glasses. Check!!!

  8. #8crewchief8882015-05-02 16:28

    the connector terminals are marked with letters, wires are color coded. make a simple drawing of what wires go where. remove the lock from the back of the connector. a std paper clip will release the lock tabs so you can pull the wire and terminal out the back of the connector. :drinkup