I have an S-220 with 1850 hours, low flow, ~2007 model. It got hot and shut down while using a Bobcat shredder attached(see pic). I checked the coolant level, and it was low. I found a piece of hose that goes from the water pump to the thermostat house with teeth marks on it, and a slow leak. See picture. Replaced the hose, and added more coolant. we ran the skidsteer for 30-45 minutes, and the temps got hot again. The coolant level remains good on the overflow tank. I removed the access panels to see if there were any critters building nests around the fan-none seen. Air flow seems good outside of the skidsteer where I guess the cooling air exits the engine compartment. We used it some more with a bucket attached for some light dirt work, and the temps remained in the green on the temp gage. The temperatures are 100 F and above in the afternoons in Central Texas now. I have not had a problem with temperature in the past, even on hot days. what do you think? is this just a bad time of year to run the shredder? Thanks, Carr
I've never run a shredder on my bobcat, but I am just thinking that everything would have to be in top condition to keep it from overheating in these temps. I am guessing you are running the AC while working? I have heard that can take as much as 10hp to keep it running. If everything is working fine with just a bucket, I'd guess that the shredder is just a bit too much in the afternoon temps. I would make sure I had all of the air out of the cooling system after changing the hose and then maybe try to run the shredder real early in the morning before it gets hot to see if it will handle that.
All you can do is make sure the radiator is as clean as possible, look through it with a light on one side, the fan is in good shape, all the foam and baffles are in place. Oil level, and coolant level are correct. Take the temp of the water jacket on the block, water pump and thermostat housing with a temperature gun, then decide if you're comfortable running it that hot. If you're not losing any coolant, and it's 200 or less then that's no problem. 220 or higher is a too high in my opinion.
thanks for the replies. I will try using the shredder in the evenings. even then, it is still hot outside. I was thinking about the design of the cooling system. you have the coolant radiator on the bottom, next comes the oil cooler ( I guess this if for hydraulic oil), then you have the a/c condenser on top of this. that seems like a lot of heat that needs to be dissipated in a very small place. I will use a temperature gun on this unit too. I have cleaned the radiator assembly before, but I have never taken off the layers of radiators to clean out individually. thanks for the help
I finally decided to get serious about figuring out my overheating problem. I separated the a/c from the oil cooler so I could get to the radiator. Oh my, it was filthy, see pic. I run a bulldozer and a tractor and I have never seen a radiator so packed with dirt. I generally take good care of my equipment , at least yearly cleanings- this is not my full time job, but this shocked me. I pressure washed the radiator out. Ran the s-220 with the a/c on with the shredder in 105 deg. temps. The temp gauge stayed in the lower 1/3 of the gauge . This is the only equipment I have where the radiator is horizontal. This makes a difference in the amount of dirt the radiator collects. Thanks
I have a 40 hp tractor I use to brush hog about a 5 acre field at the end of each summer. I’ve learned that a nice clean looking radiator can be really deceiving. I run a slow garden hose through it and it’s always amazing how much junk slowly washes out.