Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat s150 hydraulic reservoir top fill plug won’t loosen- ideas? Plastic?

clydesdale6 ยท 2020-10-19 21:22

I am getting ready to change the hydraulic fluid and was going vac the fluid out of the reservoir. But, I cannot remove the hex plug in the reservoir. I am a professional at breaking things. I used the proper sized hex socket and hooked that up to a breaker bar. I put quite a bit of torque through and I don't like the idea that the tank seems plastic and flexes under the torque. I can see adding this to my resume of mistakes and things I wish I did not break. Anybody run into this before? Advice? Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2020-10-19 21:32

    Warm up the female threaded part, and chill the male threaded part?

  2. #2clydesdale62020-10-19 21:36

    Maybe. I thought about using a heat gun on the tank. It is plastic and flexes under the torque. Maybe warm that with a heat gun and I have a can of CRC freeze off. Maybe that will work. Thanks.

  3. #3Delmer2020-10-19 23:14

    Assuming the plug has the male threads, yes, heat the tank around the plug. After the socket has been in the freezer, or dipped in propane/CO2 etc. for a while, a little grease for a seal on the hex head, put the socket on, add the freeze off/computer duster/ etc. for 30 seconds and apply gentle torque?

  4. #4clydesdale62020-10-20 20:45

    OK, I got it loose. I used the heat gun, frozen socket and then spray freeze off. I also changed the angle of the breaker bar to not torque the reservoir as much. It finally broke free and I shave a knuckle. I'll take it. Thanks for your help.