Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat S205 losing rpms and stalling

ssrider ยท 2019-02-05 13:39

Hi I have a 2007 bobcat S205 with about 2000 hrs. Owned it for a year and had no problems until last night. I was cleaning snow for about 1.5 hours last night in -25*c. Ran perfect for the first 1.5 hours and then started feeling like it was losing power (engine power). I kept running it for a couple minutes and then it really started losing power and rpms. Letting go of controls it still wouldn't rev up. I limped it back to my shop and it died 3 times before I got there. It would start right back up no problem after it died. I added a Jerry of fuel that I've had sitting around for a few months before I started clearing, but it ran fine for 1.5 hours? It feels like a fuel issue but at the same time it seemed like it was smoking quite a bit. (I could smell rich diesel exhaust.) Once I got it in the shop I checked air filter, which was fine. Drained the fuel filter, a little **** in it but nothing terrible. Checked all fluid levels, everything good. Also pulled the pickup tube from the tank and everything is good with that as well. Machine didn't throw any codes. I'm kind of lost here. If bad fuel, wouldn't it cause no smoke at all because it would be starving?

Replies6
  1. #105sprcrw2019-02-05 16:46

    My guess is it was gelling up and the wax was plugging your filter. That fuel that was around was it treated fuel for winter? Do you add any additives to prevent gelling of the fuel? When it happens to me I slow the engine to an idle and try to get the motor out of the cold the best I can and let it idle to warm the fuel filter a bit better to help get it flowing again. While that is going on, I typically will go get some anti gel additive and put it in while the machine is running so I know it gets circulated well. If its real bad you may have to pull the filter and put a new one on, if I have to do that I add the diesel 911 or similar directly to the filter first prime it and start it up. I probably do things a little different but its what works for me.

  2. #2crewchief8882019-02-05 16:50

    2 or 3 things could be causing your problem.. bad fuel plugged fuel filter bad primer bulb, or debris in the primer bulb plugged up suction hose in the tank unvented fuel cap. or plugged up vents in the cap.

  3. #3DIYDAVE2019-02-05 20:21

    1st thing I'd do is change the FF, and add some anti gel, or diesel911, prolly have to bleed it. Cut the filter vertically down the middle fer a looksee, if you see a line or ring, running horizontally across the media, well, there's your answer...

  4. #4thepumpguysc2019-02-06 06:03

    Just to add to all the good ideas.. YES bad fuel WILL make it smoke.. and starving for fuel will make it smoke..

  5. #5Vetech632019-02-06 06:45

    Change your fuel filters and try again. I'd bet that fuel sitting around for a few months had water in it.

  6. #6rondig2019-02-07 01:06

    It would have been summer fuel in canada...we dont have no 1 and 2 like americans do...the fuel companies just auto switch everything in fall and spring...and raise price for winter fuel