Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat s300 injection pump throttle arm stuck

Rob Pasternak · 2022-10-27 12:13

Hello everyone thank you in advance for trying to help me. I know I am at least the third owner of this bobcat I purchased it from a landscape company that owned a nursery in South Florida… for some reason the hourmeter does not display the hours (if anyone knows how to fix that please let me know) but the main issue is the stuck throttle. It’s been somewhat stiff since I bought the machine but I thought the throttle cable itself was just seizing up. While using the machine yesterday trying to push on the throttle to get more rpm it totally freed up so I imagine now it’s broken. In diagnosing things I found that the real problem is with the throttle arm at the injection pump and it being stiff/stuck has now rendered the cable inoperable. Does anyone know if I can just take the back of this injection pump off while the rest remains on the machine and try to free that arm up or will it not come off or will things fall out that I can’t put back in/on the injection pump and that wouldn’t be a good idea? I have removed injection pumps before but never really played around inside of them. I imagine the machine will still work but only runs just over idle now so very slow and nonproductive.

Replies21
  1. #1thepumpguysc2022-10-27 16:55

    Have u tried moving the throttle w/o the linkage hooked up.?? I’m confused..

  2. #2Rob Pasternak2022-10-27 18:45

    Sorry for any confusion but the problem is at the injection pump… the arm that the throttle linkage attaches two will not move I thought it was a problem with the throttle cable and it wasn’t that arm was just getting stiffer and stiffer over the time I found the machine until finally locked up and then I broke the throttle cable trying to give it some throttle so even with the throttle cable disconnected the arm coming out of the side of the injection pump will not move. Thanks so much for your help!!

  3. #3thepumpguysc2022-10-27 19:43

    The pump actually separates from the base.. Disconnect the lines and get the pump up a smidge and disconnect the linkage from the pump to the governor.. There’s probably a cut out in the pump base that will allow the pump to come completely out.. If u have a hard time seeing what I’m saying, go to utube and key in Kubota injection pump removal.. it’s the same concept.. Good luck

  4. #4Rob Pasternak2022-10-28 11:36

    Thanks, I think I know what you’re saying is just to remove the section that basically holds the fuel outlet fittings that leads to the injectors…. Tried searching YouTube but didn’t find much I will look again specifically for Kubota injection pump removal.

  5. #5Rob Pasternak2022-11-07 18:25

    Injection pump removed but the linkage arm is still frozen at roughly idle position. I’ve removed the fuel shut off solenoid and everything (that I can see) looks good… no corrosion or obvious interference and the small flat arm that attaches to the rack still slid back and forth easily (maybe 3/4”). I’m thinking maybe it’s binding up inside of that rear pump housing section or as the shaft passes through the wall of the housing it’s corroded…maybe causing it to bind up? This was a problem that slowly got worse over time as the throttle got stiffer and eventually froze in one position. Any help greatly appreciated.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2022-11-07 18:34

    So the control rack on THE PUMP slides back and forth easily.?? But the throttle on the governor won’t move.?

  7. #7Rob Pasternak2022-11-07 20:58

    Yes exactly

  8. #8Delmer2022-11-07 22:07

    unusual. Did they take it swimming in the ocean? spray the outside of the shafts with soapy water, and work them back and forth until loosened. There's seals in the shaft, so the inside should be in engine oil or fuel, and not corroded, the corrosion would be outside the seals, under the cap shield. Unless Thepumpguy knows of something that locks up inside, that's above my pay grade.

  9. #9thepumpguysc2022-11-08 02:45

    I’ve never been in that gov section before.. sorry.. but Delmer is right. I’d b tempted to give it a wack “in” w a brass hammer, one good time.

  10. #10Rob Pasternak2022-11-08 08:58

    Ok, I’ll work on the assumption that the resistance is coming from the throttle shaft binding as is passes from outside the governor housing to the inside… everything that I can see or touch inside the governor housing looks well lubed and is freed up to move as far as I can tell. Does anyone have a breakdown/diagram of that governor assembly? I’ve been soaking the shaft in pb blaster hoping it helps to free things up and so far just moved it a tiny bit back and forth with lots of force…

  11. #11thepumpguysc2022-11-08 09:35

    I don’t have access to the breakdown.. u might find it in a service manual.?? If it were mine, I’d take the lever off but be careful as the shaft might be splined and allow the lever to go on in many different positions.. so look closely.. Behind the lever may be shims to set the lever endplay.. Behind the lever and shims there may be an oring.?? Then it will pass thru a bushing in the housing. Good luck and let us know how you make out ..

  12. #12Delmer2022-11-08 09:45

    Scribe a line on the end of the shaft and the lever if in doubt. If it reveals shims like TPG says, you're in luck. If it doesn't, there will at least be a cover that can come off to let the PB better access. Put it the lever back on and work it until loose, or wait and work it a little each day?

  13. #13Rob Pasternak2022-11-08 09:47

    I can see for sure there is a roll pin holding the lever to the shaft…. I think I might try and remove it and the lever so I can see the shaft going through the governor housing if it looks corroded there or anything… Really appreciate the advice I need this machine to work bad!!! Debris everywhere still and now we have another hurricane on the way. Thanks again to everyone who’s commenting and helping!!

  14. #14Delmer2022-11-08 09:58

    There you go, I think you're on the right track. This thing got some salt spray in a bad place and hasn't been used a lot of hours to keep it loose, maybe? How much effort does it take to move now, like all your hands can do to move it, or 4' pipe wrench tight? Not saying to move it more than you have, take the lever off and see what you have like the plan.

  15. #15Rob Pasternak2022-11-08 10:24

    With the lever still on the shaft I was able to move it back-and-forth with a brass hammer maybe 30° in either direction…approximately 1/2-3/4” away from the throttle stop and then back to it. As soon as the rain stops I’m gonna go back out there and try and remove the pin and the lever in the spring that is behind it to see what it looks like as it passes through the wall of the governor assembly.

  16. #16Rob Pasternak2022-11-10 19:40

    Throttle lever removed… I can see some corrosion where the shaft goes into the governor housing but nothing excessive; still very difficult to rotate at all. After talking to a few local injection shops they suggested taking the governor housing off the back (pump housing)? I managed to remove all the bolts and the oil supply line but it doesn’t want to pull off I’ve been trying to find diagrams to see if there’s something else that needs to be disconnected before it can be removed. I’m hoping there’s enough room with the oil filter and oil cooler still installed on the side of the engine but it’ll barely pull back an eighth of an inch so I feel like something inside is holding it on. Been spraying PB blaster and Kroil and even tried white vinegar in an attempt to dissolve rust but its only marginally better. Any moderator able to share this in the Skid Steer forum or know an injection pump guy who is familiar with the governor housing and it’s disassembly? Thanks to all. Luckily the hurricane rapidly dissipated and did little damage near me. I’ve included the engine model number in case it helps with anyone that has access to a diagram.

  17. #17Rob Pasternak2022-11-10 20:19
  18. #18Rob Pasternak2022-11-10 20:26

    Lot of persuasion and I think it was just long dowels. I think they were holding it in on the side towards the engine but I managed to slide it out of there with the oil feedline attached and Everything else moves like it’s supposed to except for the main input shaft I’m going to try to remove it clean the bore and the shaft then reassemble and reinstall it.

  19. #19thepumpguysc2022-11-11 11:30

    Wow.. and it still won’t move.??

  20. #20Rob Pasternak2022-11-12 14:26

    Everything moving like it is supposed to now. (after removing corrosion from the throttle shaft and the governor assembly bore) I reinstalled the governor assembly and the injection pump assembly, bled out all the fuel lines but now it is really hard to start to start. I did get it running four or five times now but it won’t idle. This machine used to fire right up, barely touching the button it would immediately start and now it starts very hard and won’t run under approx 1200-1300 rpm.

  21. #21thepumpguysc2022-11-12 17:44

    Dam.. that sux.. Did u put the gov on AND THEN put the pump in.??